haggle?

jmeadows
jmeadows Posts: 335
edited November 2007 in MTB buying advice
started thread the other day about trek 6000 and gt avalanche 1.0 in which i got some good advice, is it worth haggling with the shops for the cost? gota voucher for 10% off at evans in manny so could get either for 450, that sound ok?
is it the done thing to haggle?
cheers guys and gals
never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...

Comments

• dan1983
    dan1983 Posts: 314
    I'd check the 10% off in Evans is applicable to Trek bikes, when I was looking in the summer they had a 10% off in Gateshead store as it was newly opened, but it didnt apply to Trek bikes.
  • jmeadows
    snides arent they? yeh i will be sure to ring them over that, cheers
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Defo worth haggling.

I think bike shops make a decent mark up on RRP so wouldn't feel guilty about taking a 10-15% discount from them.

You can only try, but you've got to try it with a manager and not the chump!
  • dan1983
    dan1983 Posts: 314
    As for haggling on price of bike, I would have thought if you tried there's nothing to lose. Especially if it's an independent shop as opposed to a bigger chain. Also, people on here will no doubt tell you to try to get a few freebies thrown in too.

Yeah I thought it was strange, I'm sure there's another brand Evans wouldnt discount too, but can't remember which one it was.
  • jmeadows
    yeh always best to deal with the organ grinder and not the monkey init!?
    dya think you would be able to get to 15% yeh?
  • milese
    jmeadows wrote:
    yeh always best to deal with the organ grinder and not the monkey init!?
    dya think you would be able to get to 15% yeh?

I was offered a brand new model £1800 Specialized bike for £1500. That was by one shop out of about 5 that I spoke to though so dont expect it as the norm, it depends on how much the shop want the sale really.
  • jmeadows
    i agree, if you dont ask/try you dont get, a bit of hardface is sometimes all it takes as they can only say no at worst
  • i just said got the 2007 at one dealer ...another dealer said not got the 2007 anymore but i can have the 2008 for the same price as the 2007 worked out at approx 25% discount plus free p+p
  • Iain W
    Iain W Posts: 26
    I suppose you could see about getting stuff thrown in as well, or instead of. I've not tried it myself, but as and when I do buy a new bike I think it's worth a try
  • Milese wrote:
    Defo worth haggling.

I think bike shops make a decent mark up on RRP so wouldn't feel guilty about taking a 10-15% discount from them.

This is WRONG Markup on a bike is generally around 28% for most brands. Now you can see why you are more likely to get stuff tossed in rather than large discounts
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • jontymo
    jontymo Posts: 127
    Definately haggle

I went to Leisure lakes in bury to buy a GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc, they had the 2007 model for £359.99 but next to it was the new 2008 model for £400, the guy showed me a few other bikes but i was taken with the GTs. You know what its like when you see the new latest model v last years, anyway the guy without being prompted told me i could have the 2008 model for £370 for a quick sale so i ended paying £11 more than the price for last years model.

The following week my mate went and bought a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp, he paid full price £1500 but got the Specialized carbon bar ends and Shimano XTC pedals thrown in and fitted for free.

So a big yes to haggling and also a thumbs up to Leisure Lakes.

Jon
  • got my mongoose tyax elite from sunset MTB superb service delivered within 24 hours a doddle to set up...just had to ajust the brakes to how i like them full instructions on a basic build up included handlebars,front wheel,seat and peddles......i can highly reccomend sunset mtb...

mark
  • milese
    Milese wrote:
    Defo worth haggling.

This is WRONG Markup on a bike is generally around 28% for most brands. Now you can see why you are more likely to get stuff tossed in rather than large discounts

Thats interesting, but I still wouldn't feel guilty about taking a 15% discount, leaving the shop with a similar profit margin.

Whats the mark up on typical accessories? More like 50-100%?