fork length???

dmr-kev
dmr-kev Posts: 49
edited November 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm looking at changing my 05 Fox Vanilla R (100mm) forks for some rigid Pace Carbon RC31 C-Type forks on my Felt Rxc pro frame. I'm not sure though whether to get the 440mm or the 420mm length.
The rxc pro comes with 85-100mm Rebas as standard but i bought mine as a frameset and have built it up from parts I had including the vanilla's.
The Rxc team comes with 80mm forks as standard so should I get the shorter 420mm pace forks or would this drop the front on mine too much and steepen the head angle making it too twitchy.
Any ideas , please help.....
2012 CAAD10 RS80 C24

Felt rxc pro,Pace RC31,Hope Pro2, DT Swiss 4.2d,XTR,mono minis,Thomson,Ritchey WCS,fizik,Easton monkeylite sl,speedking supersonics,and my 2 Titanium/Ceramic hip replacements!

Custom Langster Fixie

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The fork sagged will have a height of about 455mm. A lot does depend on your preference - either slightly faster handling with the 420, or more relaxed with the 440.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    find out what you current forks height (axle to crown) is then deduct the sag. and that will give a a figure and a feel to work from.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Pace seem to suggest that the 440mm version is for modern frames with geometry corrected for 100mm ish suspension, and the 420mm length is for old frames running a rigid fork or 60/80mm suspension.
  • Thank you for your replies, current fork with sag is 455mm in normal riding position not. Think i will go for the 440's.
    Thanks again
    2012 CAAD10 RS80 C24

Felt rxc pro,Pace RC31,Hope Pro2, DT Swiss 4.2d,XTR,mono minis,Thomson,Ritchey WCS,fizik,Easton monkeylite sl,speedking supersonics,and my 2 Titanium/Ceramic hip replacements!

Custom Langster Fixie