Campag Neutron Ultra replacement spoke kit

AcademicX
AcademicX Posts: 152
edited November 2007 in Workshop
I've been trying to get hold of some replacement spokes for my Campag Neutron Ultra's. I know what I need (KIT-500NE) but I can't get hold of it anywhere. Any (sensible) suggestions ?

Slightly more worryingly I've been told that the reason for a lack of supply is that Campag have been having some 'problems' with these spokes and that they are currently trying to re-source them. Allegedly the original spokes have a tendency to break with a frequency greater than normal.

Has anybody else got a set of these wheels and have you had any problems ??

Comments

• nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I've got some, and yes, I did go to the garage to take my bike out one morning, only to find a broken spoke. Its been fine since then though.
    Total Cycling list the kit:
    http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/p ... spoke.html

Sorry I've just edited this to say that I hadn't read the 'ultra' bit. Sorry! :oops:
  • SDP
    SDP Posts: 665
    try mercian in derby ..
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I had a similar problem trying to track down some Electron spokes a few years ago - turns out there was a 'bad-batch' problem too. However, all was not lost because the wheels were less than 3 years old, Select Cycles sent me a brand new pair of the latest model wheels as a warranty replacement. If you haven't already, contact Select Cycles in Derby - they've always been friendly and informative. I'm also presuming that you've downloaded and checked the spares catalogue to ensure that the spokes aren't the same as the regular Neutrons? That said, Campagnolo spares availability this year hasn't been too good according to some I've spoken to.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Won't Italian Cycle Products get'em in for you ?
    A link here : http://www.italiancycleproducts.co.uk/index.asp
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • Thanks for the responses.

I'd already spoken with Italian Cycle Products (they told me that Campag have been having problems with these spokes and they were currently unable to obtain them).

I'm 'encouraged' by Monty's reply, if there is a 'faulty batch' of spokes and I happen to have them fitted to my wheels I'd like to think that Campag would do the honourable thing and replace them (the consequences of spokes letting go at speed wouldn't be pleasant).