Chafing!

ImprezaRob
ImprezaRob Posts: 665
edited December 2007 in Health, fitness & training
Hi guys,

Thought I'd post up with my slightly embarrasing chafing issue and ask for some advise and help....

I bought some new cycling shorts and went for a long ride over the weekend with them - they were quite uncomfy, and last night noticed a red patch irritated area, went to sleep and it's still there this morning!

I had it about 12 years ago when I was at school and cant remember how I got rid of it!!

It doesnt itch or hurt, but the skin looks rather irritated!

Has anyone else suffered with this? If so, what's the best creams to use to help it? I was thinking Savlon or something like that?

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Don't skimp on the chamios cream. Dry yourself off immediatley after a ride or you could get "jock itch", which doesn't itch, it just hurts. Sort of like athletes foot, but in the crotch.
    Carrying a small tube of cream on long rides, especially in new shorts, can be a lifesaver.
    Take a look at the pros. Their saddles are almost always shining from the use of lots
    of cream.

Dennis Noward
  • So it is likely to be my new shorts causing the problem? I just thought it was a little odd that it took 36 hours or so for noticeable red patch to appear.

A friend has recommended Sudacream to me, would this be suitable??

Thanku for the tip as well! :-)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    ImprezaRob wrote:
    So it is likely to be my new shorts causing the problem? I just thought it was a little odd that it took 36 hours or so for noticeable red patch to appear.

A friend has recommended Sudacream to me, would this be suitable??

Thanku for the tip as well! :-)

Haven't heard of Sudacream. Then again I'm from across the big pond. I use Assos
    cream pretty much all the time. Kind of expensive but works well. Hard to say if it's
    your shorts or not. I don't have much trouble with any brand of good shorts. Probably
    because I am not shy about using the cream. It doesn't have to be expensive cream
    either as most of them do a decent job. Sounds to me like maybe "jock Itch" especially
    if it's in the crotch right next to big jim and the twins. If it is it will start to crack and hurt
    if not treated.
  • Sudacream is an anti-inflamation cream - I'll carry on applying it.

I just had a little google search on "Jock itch" and it sounds pretty much like what I've got!

Super!
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Sudacream is pretty good for afterwards but Assos Chamois cream is the best stuff you can buy to prevent this. All the riders I know swear by it (I don't suffer so don't bother). Smells minty as well (apparantly), hence its other name - minty arse lard.
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Sudocream is nice and cheap too ImprezaRob, and it's good stuff. Apply that daily or twice a day and it will soon clear up.

Something you haven't mentioned but this is just a thought: are you wearing your underpants as well as your shorts? The insert or padding takes the place of your pants you see, so you ALWAYS wear them without underwear. Wearing with pants will always result in chafing which isn't nice.

Assos chamois cream is also very good but dearer than sudocream.