Tacx Flow turbo trainer; how complicated is it to use?

Mel-UK
Mel-UK Posts: 15
edited November 2007 in Workshop
I'm after a turbo trainer that gives me data that I can log. For this reason, I like the look of the Tacx Flow as it has a 'head unit display'. Does anyone train with this model? What I would like to know is, how easy is it to set up and then remove the bike for road use, as I expect I would be doing this frequently. Is the head unit display easily fitted and removed, as needed? And will the display fit all drop handlebars? One last question: I see that it offers good resistance for hard training, but can it also be set to spin very easily (for the benefit of my not-so-beefy wife :wink: )?

thanks in advance

Mel

Comments

• pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    I think this fits the bill for what you looking for.

It takes a max of 5mins to set up after the initial put together, and less time to take the bike off.

The head unit isn't really designed for oversize bars so you have to really stretch the bands, they may have changed that though.

The resistance varies quite a lot there are 14 different resistance settings so you should find something to suit.

Dont expect the power reading to be accurate, though I think it is consistent so you can monitor variances rather than specifics.
    Mañana
  • pb21 wrote:
    I think this fits the bill for what you looking for.

It takes a max of 5mins to set up after the initial put together, and less time to take the bike off.

The head unit isn't really designed for oversize bars so you have to really stretch the bands, they may have changed that though.

The resistance varies quite a lot there are 14 different resistance settings so you should find something to suit.

Dont expect the power reading to be accurate, though I think it is consistent so you can monitor variances rather than specifics.
    Can only agree with pb21. Easy to mount and unmount bike once trainer is set up. Needs to be plugged into mains electricity. I use zip ties on my bars as I can't stretch bands enough and more to keep cables tidy. By monitoring and maintaining tyre pressure and contact with 'roller' you can get repeatable if not accurate readouts. Nice tool which with a HRM gives you loads of info to while away the time with :wink:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Once you get used to it, it only takes a few minutes to set up - fitting the cadence sensor if required to the chainstay is the most fiddly job. I adjust the resistance by wattage - meaning I can set it from 50 to 500watts plus in 10w increments - more than enough for most mortals. With no load it spins very freely too. You have to pay about double the price for increased functionality i.e. virtual reality or PC interface - neither of which will improve the quality of the workout, just give you more functions to fiddle with. No doubt the SRM/Cyclops owners will speak disparagingly of it's accuracy - but as I only use one bike and don't change things around, it gives me good consistency. My only dislike is that the stand can be a bit flexy when really hammering it and that it can be akward to carry - the natural carrying point is the release handle...
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Mel-UK
    Mel-UK Posts: 15
    Thanks fo the advice; very useful. I do have oversize bars, but it sound like cable ties can be used as a work-around. Based on your comments, I think I'll go with this model.

cheers

Mel