Combined touring/cross bike?

Stuck on a Giant
Stuck on a Giant Posts: 256
edited November 2007 in Workshop
I'm thinking of cycling to work, which would involve some off-road stuff and I'm tempted by a cross bike. I won't use it for that much, and would also like a touring bike. As they seem fairly similar - canti brakes and good tyre clearance, does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap frame that could be used for both purposes? I doubt I'll ever race, so weight is not a huge issue.

Comments

• on one /planet x do a steel frame and forks. i think it's based on the pompino but is set up for road / gears. http://www.planet-x-bikes.com/road/inde ... on=238:238
    the colour may not be to everyones taste, though if it is basically same frame as the pompino i can vouch for a good ride and clearance for big tyres.
  • Mapman
    Mapman Posts: 254
    Could i fit mguards to this frame ,as i am also looking for a steel cross frame that i can use for commute ,with cantis and 48/34 chain set ?
  • Sticking with the Planet X theme I'd recommend the Uncle John.

I bought one earlier this year via our Cycle2Work scheme, I use it for my daily commute. I fitted mudguards, pannier rack and cross-top brakes. It would easily double up as a light tourer.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As long as you get the more recent version of the Kaffenback, it'll more than happily take racks and guards - the first model was a bit tight for rear wheel clearance. There's also the VN Amazon. There are plenty of suitable cross frames, but beware that some don't have bottle cage or rack mounts which somewhat reduces their utility value.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Mapman
    Mapman Posts: 254
    cheers Amazon vn tooooo steep for me price wise going to enquire re the kafenback route CHEERS
  • Surly cross-check will do everything that you want. bit beefy weight and price wise but it's nicer than the kaffenback. will take rack and has huge clearances.
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    PX Uncle John, I commuted with full rack and panniers, and also raced cx. Great bike, unbeatable for the money
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • The Soma Double Cross is a superb 831 frame with all the features you need and is in the £250 price range. Sorted cycles used to import Soma - not sure if they still do.
  • Opps - meant 631! Here is the link for some pics and spec - http://www.somafab.com/frames.html
  • I have a Kaffenback, got it a few months ago, apart from a set of braze ons at the back being missing and the paint being easily chipped, I really like it. Really comfortable, but don't expect massive clearances, it'll take 32c knobblies or 32c road with guards.
    I am running mine on 23c till they wear out then plan 28c.

The colour is 70s retro chic.
  • The Uncle John is alu is it not?

Agree about the Soma Double Cross but I think you can only get them in mosquito cycles in Islington. I think it's about £350-400 for the F&F.