cheap swine from ribble

wildmoustache
wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
edited December 2007 in Workshop
has anyone here got a ribble winter bike? how do you rate it. I am considering the £375 sora version (the lowest cost variant) with mudguards to ride over the winter and maybe the spring as well as a gravity training bike! I'm used to the horrors of sora (joke), but how do people find these bikes overall?

I just want it for winter riding and then as an about town and commuting bike.

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I have the Ribble winter frame and for the money it is brilliant. Came well prepared with all the threads clean, the bottle cage and mudguard bolts had all been greased prior to fitting. If you like Sora I don't think you would have any complaints about the whole package, these bikes generally get very good owner feedback.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    Got the frame, good winter bike.

Smooth, with a slightly longer wheel base, and the full mudguards are nice, and so far it seems bombproof
    Mañana
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    I've also got the frame, and it's perfect for the job it's supposed to do.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Just to echo what Smokin' Joe and pb21 said. Bought the frame and built it up from the pile o' shite I call my "spares box". Heading into my third winter on it now and no complaints. Despite the O/S aluminium tubing, it is quite comfortable. My only criticism is that the paint quality is very poor and chips easily but as the frame and forks only cost me about £120 in an end-of-season clearance I can't complain.

I'd certainly buy another.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    I have the winter/'audax' frame built up with Ultegra parts. It's OK for commuting (26 miles each day) but I do get shaken about a bit on terrible Manchester road surfaces! Cheap alu frame with cheap carbon fibre fork is a bit too harsh on longer rides though. It is supposedly for winter and audax but I've done a few 200km audax events on it and certainly wouldn't want to ride it any further than 200km. I've mostly been riding my other bike (a steel frame Serotta) for 200km+ and really just about every ride except the commute, even in poor weather, as it's so much more comfortable. You gets what you pays for.
  • aracer
    Why don't you just put some wider tyres on if comfort is a problem (can't say I'd noticed that)?
  • If yu are after a winter bike then consider the Quest winter bike. A bit more money bit you'll get tiagra and imo a very nice bike. So nice infact it turned into my all year round bike and the summer bike has bee relagated to a turbo bike.
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • Rubbish customer service. Haven't answered any of my emails regarding damaged frame
  • I have one and agree with Blonde.
    Have to say that it's proved to be superb value for money, but I can't bear to ride it on anything narrower than 25 section tyres.

I am beginning to realise that, as I spend more time in the saddle on my winter bike than any other, I really should spend proportionally more on a decent one. :idea:
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    On the subject of comfort, virtually all of my bikes over the last 40 years have been full on race geometery in steel, all aluminium and alu / carbon mix yet I have never had a bike that I felt was uncomfortable. I find if I get the position right and use descent tyres and a saddle that suits I can spend all day on any frame material without any bother.
  • aracer
    You obviously don't have a backside which is sensitive to marketing, SJ :wink:
  • aracer wrote:
    You obviously don't have a backside which is sensitive to marketing, SJ :wink:

The backside seems to be in isolation, judging by the signature. :wink:
  • simbil1
    simbil1 Posts: 620
    Spot on SJ - I've done centuries on a harsh alu MTB with 1 inch slicks on 26 inch wheels and the all over exhaustion and pain in the thighs tends to eclipse the lesser aches and pains caused by the harsher ride.
    The perception of a frame/bike being 'good' or having 'quality' because it feels as smooth as a Mercedes is daft and must indeed make the marketers very happy. I'm not saying comfort is not a factor at all, its just way down my list.
  • Slightly off topic but relating to the comment on Sora. I was going to post to say I think its the ultimate winter groupo. I have Ultegra on my best bike and find it hard to change gears with full length gloves but with Sora its easy as there is the much maligned button/switch which is easy with long gloves.

Agree with the above comment that perhaps you should spend more on winter bike but I would say spend it on the frame and not perishable items like the groupset. Have a look on ebay for a decent second hand frame and you might be better of than getting a newer inferior one (not that I'm saying Ribble is, I have no idea what they're like).
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I got a frame 2 mths ago. It’s great value for money but as has been said before the paint quality isn’t great. I had a black frame and wouldn’t recommend it in that colour it’s mat and shows up every mark especially sweat on the top tube. I think the ride is ok, I haven’t noticed any difference from my other bike which is steel.
  • Very pleased with mine for £399 with Tiagra Double. Have changed to compact chain set, now it does all I need it to do.
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    I too have the Ribble frame and forks built up to my own spec. This is now my 4th winter of commuting and riding 100 and 200k Audaxes on it and it has been absolutely fine. As I recall the only gripe in the C+ Mag. review was that the transfers looked a bit flimsy, mine incidentally are still very neat and the frame is an excellent value for money purchase that provides some fun on winter rides. Their customer service regarding this and my many other purchases , including returns has also been superb.