Digital SLR

Ben Bramhill
Ben Bramhill Posts: 184
edited November 2007 in MTB general
Right! for so many years now ive chatted about my bike and allsorts of nonesense, but i thought it was about time i got some pictures of me and my local spots. I think id really enjoy the photography, but i havent got a clue about it. I really want a Digital SLR, and will have a budget of about £300-400. If anyone could point me in any directions, hopfully a good one it would be much appreciated. cheers guys.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The Canon EOS 400D is an awsome Digital SLR I have tried one a few times and is very easy and fast to use. It may be a bit too high on your price range but i have found it in John Lewis for £429 but this doesn't include a very impressive lens. If this is too much the Canon EOS 350D with the same lens is about £363. Both good starter cameras
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    Jessops have the 400D (body only) for £400 or with the kit lens for £430 which if i could afford one i just might get it, though my little canon point and shooter a620 is still serving me nicely and is very light. maybe buy a smaller point and shooter with full manual controls to see if it's a hobby you'll like first?

pics in the link all taken with my little p&s.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Ben

I don't know if you have considered things other than the camera in your budget?

You will need a memory card - I know this should be less than £20 for a decent 1GB card.
    There is also the issue of lenses. Most Dslr's will come with an 18-55mm lens (in case of Canon) or similar. Depending on the types of shot you want etc, you will probably want another lens.

Both the Canon 350D & 400D mentioned are very good cameras. My 1st Dslr was a 350D.
    Being a Canon owner, I can't believe I'm saying this; but have a look at the Nikon D40 & D50 too. Right, back to Canon.

Have you considered S/H?
    A verry good source is the Canon Outlet on ebay. This is actually Canon selling refurb cameras. Don't get too drawn in though. Often they can sell for nearly as much as new.

A good place to buy S/H is www.mifsuds.co.uk or similar shops.
    For new this will give you a good idea of what is available: http://www.camerapricebuster.com/index.html

In respect of lenses, with your budget, it is probably worth looking at a Sigma 70-300mm (APO version as it is much better). Make sure you buy the one to fit the camera you buy.

Hope this helps a little.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • I can vouch for both the Canon 350d and 400d, both very good cameras. Very little between them really.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    I've got the EOS 350D. Had if for a couple of years now. Excellent results from it. (I've also got a tele-photo lens as well as the original one - I'm at work so can't look to see what mm they are...).

Also vouch for the memory card thing. I've got 2 X 256mb ones that came free with the camera - will hold approx 60 shots each and also a 2gb card which holds about 500 shots.

:D
  • for memory cards these guys are difficult to beat and dead reliable
    www.7dayshop.com