Unknown frame?

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited November 2007 in Road general
http://picasaweb.google.com/garygkn/Bike

Hi I am not sure how to embed pics.

Above is a link to some pics of a frame I am trying to identify.

It has nice rear dropouts.

Any ideas?]

Comments

• bowser
    bowser Posts: 163
    any numbers or letters stamped on dropouts?
    have the dropouts been altered at all ? look like osgear with a bit chopped off?
    bowser
  • GaryGkn
    No bits chopped off but the frame number appears to be vaguely stamped at the top of the seat post. The rear hub is 5 speed and the other side is fixed the pedals and the rear derailleur are Gran Sport. GB brakes. The sticker on the seat tube makes me think of Carlton? Just a guess. BB is stamped but not readable.
  • bigtim
    bigtim Posts: 14
    it's a Dawes
  • GaryGkn
    Great deduction. Can you tell me what the distinguishing details were? Lugs? It's quite a nice comfy ride. Do you know what model?
  • bigtim
    bigtim Posts: 14
    Lugs/bb & the fluted seat stays at cluster, not sure of model,would say possibly mid fifties
  • GaryGkn
    Thanks BigTim. I thought it was roughly a 50's bike but no idea what the make was. I like Dawes but information on the old models seems sparce. i have not been successful searching the web. I suppose it is because they are a going concern. I once saw a fixed Dawes in copper with chrome fork ends it looked light and inspiring never seen anything like it for sale though.