The ultimate cheap bike light £43.95 takes AA batteries!!

124»

Comments

• Appreciate that, it does seem that the 18650 versions have better runtime and output. Like you say, as long as you can get a few batteries and a charger you're ok for a good year or two :)

Thanks 8)
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

A day where you don't learn something is a waste...
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Have a look at the ultrafire c1, it has a 230 lumen output using two cr123 batteries but also takes one 18650 batteries, is fairly compact and has good runtimes.

It's what ive ordered as a helmet light as i already have 4 18650's anyway, but like i said go on the reviews on dx and you won't go far wrong, however romisen seem to be top in a few of candlepower forum reviews so are worth a look.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14027
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • The 18650s are very expensive (£12each), and I cant find a rechargeabler on the website with a 'normal' plug. Although they are more powerful, I may just stick with the AA version for ease.
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• Dazzza
    edited September 2008
    Expensive, since when?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-x-18650-2400mAh ... 286.c0.m14

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5790

As for the plug, you just use a lead from a stereo the two pin variety, it'll go right in the back of that charger or failing that by a shaver plug.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Ok, now im interested :D
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• I'd be looking here... :roll:
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• Dazzza
    edited September 2008
    Complete rip off as you can now see, just make sure on dx they are blue protected trusfires with a nipple on the top, some li-ions can be smooth which can cause problems if the decide to move.

The ones i posted above would be ideal along with the same charger from dx as they both work well, and charge decently.

Plus it can charge cr123's and 14500[aa] li-ions just make sure if you use cr123's to buy the rechargeable ones and also that the torch will handle the voltage.

The c1 i posted is modded with a good q5 xre drop in module, known as a p60 host which is very common so you can get the beam however you want it should it bee too bright or not wide enough etc.
    Giant Anthem X
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• I also looked at the c1, but wondered if it would be sufficiently water proof for mud/rain etc? There are no o-rings to seal out the water. Can you just add those yourself or doesnt it really matter?
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• Dazzza
    There are o ring seals, you just aren't looking close enough, keep them greased and all should be well. ;)

This c1 is different to others as it has a different led module to change the pattern and the brightness.

One big advantage with this light, you can use p60 hosts, so when a new led comes out which is better just unscrew the top, take out the old module and throw in the new one, quite a few mention an r2 host, r being a step up from the q bin emitters ala q4 and q5,dereelight is meant to be a genuine source, so many fakes about.

http://www.dereelight.com/module-list.htm

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11836
    Giant Anthem X
  • I bottled and bought a Fenix L1D Q5 and a lock block! All the reviews I read kept saying that the others were good 'as long as you get a good one', and 'it's almost as good as my Fenix but cheaper', so figured I may as well get the Fenix 1st off and then add if I need/want to. The other beauty is that the L1D only takes a single AA and still chucks out 120lumens, and you can upgrade with an L2D body and make it 190lumens for only £20-30.

Will give the feedback when it hopefully arrives tomorrow :)
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• Dazzza
    Well i am curious about fenix lights having never seen one in the flesh, oddly enough that link i posted above about the r2 module it mentions the fenix p3d and how his surefire g2 with the cree r2 module has now replaced his p3d due to it being better which rather surprised me.

Led's are fickle things, you hear so many bad reports but if you do a bit of digging you can usually find something worthwhile, i'll stick with my ultrafire c1 as it's close to the r2 in output anyway.

Wahey, cree have now released their xlamp led, it's similar to a p7 which should be interesting.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16145
    Giant Anthem X
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    alfablue wrote:
    capoz77 wrote:
    I use 2800mah energizer rechargables I get 4 hours on high and turbo about 2-3.

I have the energizer 15 minute charger which is supurb, four batteries good to go in 15 minutes! I take 8 out with me :)

Hi capoz

I have been using a 15 minute charger but I think it reduces the capacity of the cells quite quickly. I have since got a MAHA MH-C9000 that can analyze cells and show the capacities, and I have found some of my 2800's are down to about 1100 after about 6 months use. So now I do a 4 hour charge on the MAHA and save the 15 minute one for "emergencies".

The prediction came true, my 15 min charger has really ruined the 2800's but it did take a year LOL

Is this the charger which takes an hours and gives longer life?

"Vapextech Fast Charger with 4 x 2900 Batteries in case.
    Fast charger comes with UK plug and car "
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    BUMPITY BUMP OF ALL MOTHER BUMPS! :lol:

How's everyone's fenix's holding out?

anyone found a more bang for buck light for my winter riding?
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    check the What lights section in Buying advice
    I like bikes and stuff
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lol, indeed. DX P7 torches can be had that are 4 times as powerful for a third the price as the original post here! How things move on.
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    4uk me, wondered what was going on then when i started reading this, thought there was a group of people living in a different out of date world,until i saw the dates
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    supersonic wrote:
    Lol, indeed. DX P7 torches can be had that are 4 times as powerful for a third the price as the original post here! How things move on.

I think comparing lumens like this is a bit misleading, to be honest I have both, P7 on the bars and L2D on my helmet. I prefer the L2D due to the beam shape, much less seems to be wasted.

Shining both at a fair distance I can't think that many people would come to the conclusion that one is 4 times the other.