Would this work for a fixed gear???

johnnypipe85
johnnypipe85 Posts: 145
edited November 2007 in Road general
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120183669604&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

and would any chainring be suitable or would I need a fixed gear specific?

thanks

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Can't see any reason why you couldn't use those cranks. You will need to get the right chain line, so this will influence what length bottom bracket you spec with them. I have read somewhere that it's easier to ride high cadence with shorter cranks, which is why most track cranks are 170mm max.

Can use any round chainrings for fixed - don't have to be 1/8", even if you are using 1/8" chain although the chain is less likely to jump off an 1/8" chainring.
  • Why not?

The advert does not give the dimentions of the bolt circle diameter, but there ia a plethora of people (and e-bay sellers) that will willingly sell you a chainring. You might have one already.
    Personally I prefer 1/8 inch chain (nostalga) but 3/32 inch rear sprockets are available so you could use a 3/32 inch chainring.
    Dont forget that a 1/8inch chain will run on a 3/32 inch chainring!
    Don't forget the chain line!
    As one door closes, another slams in your face.
  • thanks guys!
    that's great info!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There's no reason why you can't use them. From memory these take a 135mm BCD chainring - so any of the current Campagnolo road chainrings, or a track one from Miche or TA would do. To use as a fixed, you'd have to run the chainring on the inner position for a better chailine unless you could get it to work with a shorter bottom bracket - can't remember if these are 107mm or 111mm.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..