The world's steepest road climbs!

2»

Comments

• montevideoguy
    montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
    Adamskii wrote:
    "THE WORLDS STEEPEST ROAD CLIMBS", say it in an American voice and you've got yourself a TV show!

There's a road in the Lake Districk going west across to Wasdale from Langdale which is has some steep bits. Can't remember where it is though and can't find it on the map.

...only if it involved statements such as "as long as 4 football fields" or "as tall as two Eiffel Towers"

THEN you have a programme
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • AGNI
    AGNI Posts: 140
    It may not be the steepest but its certainly a fair climb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bwlch_y_Groes

And on the 11th July its on the route we are taking on a charity ride :shock:
    Still suffering with wind
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    zedders wrote:
    anyone know of any good hills in 'sunny leics'? the best one I tackled was one near bradgate park, but it wasn't close to some of those! I'd just like to know so I can avoid!

The best hill in Leicestershire is in Burbage from The Anchor up to The Cross Keys, past the soldier. It's not steep, only about 50 yards or so long, but it's a lovely journey on a Sunday lunchtime.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I cant seem to notice nearly every hill discussed in this thread titles "The World's Steepest Road Climbs!" are all in the UK!!

I assume "The World's Steepest Road Climbs" are not in the UK :lol:

The steepest climb I've done is Rosedale chimney, I think 2 "genuine" 33% sections, I managed (only just) in 34/25 gears, allthough I had enough energy at the end to do a sprint :lol:, I reckon this hill called Boltby Bank is harder, it's only 25% but I remember it being a killer, I failed up it with a 34/32 allthough I was not as strong then.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Much prefer the challenges of the long sustained climb.. oh I just wish I had the wherewithall to spend a summer in the Alps...
    25% + climbs that last a 100 yards or whatever prove nothing exciting to me...

I did enjoy this 6 mile drag up this one tho .. great road.. great scenery and did it when I was feeling very strong.. more of the route was listed in C+ some months ago

at the bottom of the climb I passed a couple of friendly council workers who made the comment ' you have a fair way to go up there..! ' he wasnt wrong

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=9500
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Climbed the northern Gwaelod y Garth to Pentyrch today.

Absbolutely nuts gradients.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Vid of the Besenello climb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulJsjynZEZc

:shock:
  • freehub wrote:
    What is the steepest climb close to manchester?

Or the steepest climb in the peak district?

ask bhima about 'the corkscrew' if you want 30-45%. :wink:

the steep bit of jenkins chapel is steeper than winnats.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    "From Trefriw to a lake?"... Done that a few times, lol! Think it's Llyn Crafnant.

Also, 1. Prenteg from the Tremadoc road...scary steep up and down.
    Hairpins, loose, greasy in the wet, suicide sheep...

2. Trefor town centre to the TV mast, watch out for the man-ole covers, in the middle of the road!!!

3. Nebo TV mast climb, from Nasareth - no kidding!

All in the Land of the Welsh Princes, Gwynedd.

Others on request...
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    Adamskii wrote:
    "THE WORLDS STEEPEST ROAD CLIMBS", say it in an American voice and you've got yourself a TV show!

There's a road in the Lake Districk going west across to Wasdale from Langdale which is has some steep bits. Can't remember where it is though and can't find it on the map.
    my bro went up that last year lol
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Hillside running out the back of Prestatyn up to Gwaenysgor, which is about a mile long has a road sign at the top that it's 33%.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Baldwin Street in Dunedin, New Zealand is reputedly one of the steepest - apparently the joy of central planning where someone many miles away decided to impose a grid street pattern on a rather hilly area:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_Street,_Dunedin
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    Adamskii wrote:
    Probably thinking of Hardknott & Wrynose Passes.
    The road into Wasdale is a dead-end. Harknott climbs out of Eskdale, drops down a bit then you climb Wrynose (heading from the coast), and before that there's a fair climb from Gosforth into Eskdale. I can heartily recommend a pie stop in Gosforth - Gosforth bakery (looks like a house, opposite the phone box) does the Best Pies in the world. :mrgreen:
    I've not attempted any of those yet, but teh Fred Whitton Challenge goes over all the main Lakeland Passes, with the exception of Shap because it's too far to get to either end from the others.
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    gradient.jpg
    Bottom of Hardknott

Worse than the hills are the bloody tourists though. No idea how to drive on steep, narrow, twisty roads. You'll get used to the smell of burning clutches and brakes, and the expectation that YOU will magically disappear off the road. And that's if you're in a car. Dread to think what it'd be like for a cyclist :evil:
  • lakeland
    lakeland Posts: 76
    Already been mentioned but Hardknott, Wrynose and Honister are some of the biggest I can think of in the lakes. The Fred Whitton is an animal of a ride, not for the feint hearted!