Brake Cable - Very Basic Question!

Bucklejuice
Bucklejuice Posts: 9
edited November 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I am back into Mountain Biking and decided to take the plunge as part of the Cycle 2 Work scheme and therefore had to purchase through Halfords.

Since last riding Mountain Bikes (some 10+ years ago and not to a very high standard) my limited knowledge is now being tested as the technology has somewhat advanced! I decided to go for the GT Aggressor XC2 after much deliberation (and reading this forum) and recieved the box from said company having to build the bike myself.

The incredibly basic question I have is (as I did not recieve any illustration on this in the pack I recieved) where does the brake cable go from lever to disc brake, inside the fork (tyre side) or outside, and is it attached to the fork by a cable tie as that's all I appear to have with what has been provided?

Thanks in advance.

B

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    personal preferance is down the out side of the fork leg.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I'm sorry to "bump" this thread again but I only got one reply - is it very much down to personal preference or is there 'the norm'?

On the back of the front forks (RockShox Dart2) there are two sets of small knobs (for want of a better word) that would appear to accomodate the cable? Is that their purpose or not?

And is a cable-tie the only way to secure the cable as I recieved some sort of extra pack in the box of extras when I recieved the bike which had a cable-tie, alcohol wipe and some sort of small black plastic block. I've read about setting sag, is that what these items are for?

Cheers
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    those bumps are to hold the zip tie in the correct place. the plastic cable holder stick onto the front of the arch and then the cable tie holds it all together.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I'm sorry to "bump" this thread again but I only got one reply - is it very much down to personal preference or is there 'the norm'?

I find it best to run the cable/hose between the fork leg and the wheel (in at the front, out at the back) and secure it with a single zip-tie at the "root" of the arch. The guide "knobs" are about as much use as an inflatable dartboard.

If you route the cable/hose in this way, not only does it look neater but the fork leg will protect it from snagging and damage

Make sure that the cable/hose doesn't rub on the wheel or tyre and away you go!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I'd second that, my Talas fork has the brake hose running down the inside leg (there's a proper clamp on the fork to make sure the hose is routed this way).

You can use a cble tie to help set the sag but the one you recieved was probably intended to be used to secure the brake cable.

PS at least you got one reply, no one answered my over complex fork servicing query :cry:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    If you look in the little box that comes in the big bike box, the one with all the manuals etc in it, you'll find the Rockshox manual.

In there you'll find a fixing kit that has a couple of cable ties, a small black plastic thingy and a cleaning wipe.

Wipe the fork leg down just under the Rockshox sticker, take the placcy thingy and peel the backing paper off the sticky pad, stick this just under the sticker on the back of the leg, place the cable in this part and secure with a cable tie, jobs a good un' :D