Police Requests for Help/ Witnesses to Accidents

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited November 2007 in Campaign
on my route to work, a sign has appeared since yesterday seeking witnesses to a fatal road accident

nothing unusual about that you say

however incident is said to have occurred on 11th April @ 8:51pm

Why wait over 7 months to seek witnesses. Who is likely to remember details now
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• But you don't know the full facts of the case Spen.

What if the accident only became fatal this week? I.e. in a coma for the last seven months!

Yes I am clutching at straws!

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • spen666
    But you don't know the full facts of the case Spen.

What if the accident only became fatal this week? I.e. in a coma for the last seven months!

I accept that- but any reqest for information even if accident only became fatal this week, should be nearer the time.

How reliable is evidence of witness who only comes forward now?

I do not know the full facts but have to say that seeing a sign appear so long after the incident is unusual and set me wondering why

Twittering @spen_666
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    spen666 wrote:

I accept that- but any reqest for information even if accident only became fatal this week, should be nearer the time.

I do not know the full facts but have to say that seeing a sign appear so long after the incident is unusual and set me wondering why

You don't know any of the facts, yet find it perfectly acceptable to castigate posters for having an opinion when the facts of a situation are unknown
  • spen666
    whitley wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

You don't know any of the facts, yet find it perfectly acceptable to castigate posters for having an opinion when the facts of a situation are unknown

Hence why I ask questions when I do not know the full facts

Twittering @spen_666
  • Oh god another insightful thread.

Perhaps someone nicked the sign and they only just noticed it.
  • I can see you point Spen. In which case why does English Law not have a Criminal Statute of Limitation?
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    I can see you point Spen. In which case why does English Law not have a Criminal Statute of Limitation?

:shock: :?:
  • spen666
    I can see you point Spen. In which case why does English Law not have a Criminal Statute of Limitation?

It does for summary only offences - ie those that can only be dealt with in the magistrates court. The limitation is 6 months (subject to some minor qualification issues)

I think there is a distinction between cases where evidence is obtained quickly when incident is fresh in people's minds but perpetrator is not caught and cases where evidence is not obtained until many months later when recollections may be less clear

Twittering @spen_666
  • After 7 months, any memories are likely to be most unreliable.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.