Winter Cycling!

Commuter_2000
Commuter_2000 Posts: 156
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
Hi,

This is my first year Winter cycling, and wondered what I can expect from other road users?

I'm still loathed nearly a year after a car crash to use busier roads (i.e, the busier A roads - it's that or go across fields). I ride a recumbent trike, and have found that 99% of the time drivers will give me a good distance when overtaking, but it is faster traffic I'm particularly worried about.

Do you find vehicles see you OK (particularly around dusk)? I've got two tail lights (one BS standard, the other a brighter LED light) and a good bright head light, but still don't feel visible enough, particularly to the rear (I also wear a reflective yellow/orange day-glow jacket).

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Best regards,
Commuter_2000.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As well as the lights, get some self-adhesive retro-reflective stickers - there are far more visibile that hi-vis materials as they light-up in headlights. It's also worth putting reflectives around your ankles and around your wheel rims - like flashing lights, the eye is more inclined to register a moving/flashing object than a static one. If you're really worried about rearward visibility, get something like a Dinotte rear light - I don't care whether it's legal or not - I'd rather be seen than dead!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Here in Sweden kids get towed around to preschool etc in trailers quite often. A fibreglass pole with a dayglo orange flag on and mounted to the rear of the trailer makes them very visible as it pops up above the traffic and flaps about - very eye catching. I agree with monty dog - look like an effing Christmas tree if that what it takes
  • look like an effing Christmas tree if that what it takes
    :lol::lol:

I'm seriously considering some yellow flashing lights for the sides, but can't find a supplier!! Was watching a few lorries the other night and the running lights really stand out.

I've been looking for some of those flashing lights that attach to the spokes (are these common????), but again I've been unable to find a supplier.

I'm in the UK, so if you can recommend anyone that would be good!

I'll need to get some panniers I think as the rear is rather lacking sticky-taping area. I don't presently have mud guards fitted either, but after getting thoroughly drenched the other day it is a priority to do that!! :D It certainly wasn't as bad as I was expecting, considering it was -2 (pretty cold for the UK)!

Anyone seen one of these? What are your thoughts in general on this type of lighting? Considering my head is the highest point on the cycle (recumbent trike) this seems a good idea. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ad%20Torch

It would also follow where I'm looking. :? Apparently the run time is 3 1/2 hours with the halogen bulb running according to the specs for a similar headlight without the 3rd strap. Would the trike still legally require a front headlight though, considering I'd be wearing this one?

Best regards,
    Commuter_2000.
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Yup - In agreement with Monty.
    Depends on the time of day you're riding.
    In daylight, orange is more visible than yellow.

I have a Petzl Xenon only head-torch - pretty good - that's used for walking. Better than some of the crappier bike lamps.
    Bear in mind all that weight on your head - especially if you've been bounced off.
    The Xenon is good with a reasonable runtime, however when it goes it dies very quickly - From bright to not working in about 15 seconds.

I have a mini Cateye LD100 that dangles off the back of my skid-lid, and an Electron Backupz 5xLED that's elasticated to the front. It's amazingly bright - so bright I actually use it as a torch if walking.

I have a RVLR compliant flashing Cateye 5 LED thing that stays on even in some daylight conditions (round London and on dull days / heavy tree canopy).
    Backed up by monster Luxeon headlamp for night use.
    Rear has a Cateye LD1100 and a BS Cateye with built-in reflector on the pannier rack.
    The mudguard has a reflector, plus some 3M reflective red tape:
    www.beseenonabike.com

You can't beat orange pedal reflectors (unless recumbent riding) - Really obvious what you are, and makes it easier for them to judge your distance.
    Available for SPDs, and if you get down the LBS, they may be able to sell you the multi-pedal clip-on reflectors that come as stanard with Cannodales.

I usually suffer the "cycling proficiency" jokes - but at least I'm not drinking my dinner through a straw.

For side-on viewing, Schwalbe and Continental (GP4000 25c) come with 3M reflective wall tape. Probably others out there too.

Respro "pressure sensitive" reflective tape is expensive, but highly flexible, allegedly washable and very good - I have some taped to my jacket - Back of the arms above the elbow, and down the back of the jacket.

Adidas overshoes reviewed in this month's C+ have loads of reflective too - though sadly are black, so only good after dark.
  • Hi,

Do you know if you can get additional battery packs for the head torches?

I'm looking at getting a rack mountable pannier for the back but the problem is it goes over the frame where by second tail light is (I'm paranoid about being hit from behind - being tail gated whilst in a car is bad enough and that is a much larger object! :shock: ).

I'll have a look at some of those lights you mentioned - in some cases I'm more interested in run-time rather than intensity; it is being seen, rather than seeing, that concerns me (especially if it is a bit foggy).

I'll go to my LBS and see what they have in the way of reflective tape. :)

Best regards,
    Commuter_2000.
  • JWSurrey
    If that Petzl has the same battery pack as mine, it takes 3x 'penlight' batteries - Is that AA size? Can't remember.
    Alkalines seem to last a bit longer. I run NimH in mine, but they die really fast and don't last as long as alkalines.

For tailgating/the rear, try the Cateye LD1100, or as Monty says, the Dinotte rear light - especially for foggy conditions.
    I've been 'foglamped' before, by someone who had been tailgating me - Obviously was too bright for them to get close enough to push me along :wink:

Cateye do a pannier mount for their standard lights.
    I agree that a pannier specific rear lamp may be better, as they have a huge reflective strip. (Busch & Muller).
    My LD1100 is seatpost mounted, and the BS Cateye lamp is rack mounted.
    When driving, I've found it's better/clearer to have some vertical separation between lamps to help judge distance.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    www.mila.se are a Swedish company who are popular with the nordic skiing and orienteering crowd - they do headlamps with seperate battery packs. www.sportalbert.de in Germany are an online dealer. I've no experience of their products, but might be ideally suited to what you're looking for. There's also a helmet mount version of the Dinotte lights available with a longer battery cable.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Get a Smart 1/2 watt rear light - if you're still paranoid about being hit up the rear then give up riding at night.

Don't forget that to see how effective lights are don't test them out in absolute darkness - see how they are visible when used in towns with all sorts of other lights around.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    At this time of the year I find the low strong sunlight a threat. Driverse are blinded and just do not see you. Especially early morning when their windsreens are still misted up or half covered in ice. I think it is probably safer in the dark. I will not cycle early morning or evening if it is a sunny day.

Jim
  • JWSurrey
    Ah yes, that fun time of year when everyone's playing "Tank Commander" through the pillar box of a windscreen - "Oops, was that a soft two wheeled thing I just squashed" :shock:
    Good point.

Agreed, low sunlight is probably the most dangerous - that and riding under heavy tree canopies in summer where bright sunlight intersperses with dark shaded sections - which is why I take my lightweight flashing units even in summer - especially on cloudy days.

Yes, absolute dark has less distractions/visual queues so you do tend to stand out much better.

I think that's why amber/orange is better in daylight or when there is "lighting confusion."