Useless Waterproofs

Pippen33
Pippen33 Posts: 235
edited December 2007 in XC and Enduro
Further to this post http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12550352 in the Health & Fitness section how much do you have to spend on a waterproof to keep dry??? - since Winter 06 I've bought 3 'waterproof' jackets all £70+, every single one has left me soaked on the inside, and yes I do wear base layers.
spammer

Comments

• RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    Unless you sweat like the guy in the Lynx Dry ad then i suggest something made of eVent fabric.

I've got an Endura Event jacket and its pretty breathable, its not perfect but its the best cycling specific jacket I've came across for shifting sweat.

If money is no object and you're not worried anout it being cycle specific then look for something made of Ventile, it basically waterproof cotton so its at least 5 times more breathable then the best synthetic fabric but it costs $$$$$

Cheers

Rich
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    edited November 2007
    Your jackets could be re-waterproofed. Nikwax & Grangers do re-proofing products.

Most waterproofs don't like to be washed in Biological washing powder, or Fabric Softener, it stops the waterproofing properties of some materials.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    RichMTB wrote:
    Unless you sweat like the guy in the Lynx Dry ad then i suggest something made of eVent fabric.

I'd second the recommendation for eVent. I have a Gill Pro Speed which is brilliant.

a serious case of small cogs
  • i have a jacket made with gore tex and its great never had any problems.
    guarenteed to keep water out n seems to breath realy well.
    id go for anything with a 3 layer gore tex system in it
  • Can't fault my Gore Gore Tex jacket. Had it 2 years, washed after nearly every ride and it's still 100% waterproof.
  • Another vote for the Endura Event jacket.

Another option is a soft shell that is waterproof, Howies and Endura both do very good ones, well they get good write-ups. They should shift the sweat better.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Yup, Goretex is awesome my Packlite jacket has saved me many a time.
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    I'm with the goretex crowd on this one.

I have a Gore Bikewear Paclite that lives in my camelback permanently and has saved me on many an occasion and I have just bought a Gore Bikewear Path jacket to see me through the winter months - It has three layer XCR so a bit more robust than the Paclite.

I also have a Goretex XCR skiing jacket and Gore skiing gloves.

I love it!
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • Yep it has to be Gore Tex or event to keep you dry. You can often get some pretty good end of season deals from wiggle or CRC so worth keeping an eye out for when they go cheap.
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Gore are about to discontinue the XCR product and are replacing it with something else (can't remember the name off the top of my head - proshell maybe) so there should be some good deals to be had soon.....
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • I do loads of mountaineering and climbing the like as well as XC and i find that my Millet Aerial Max Jacket (Gore-Tex) does wonders. Its small enough to ram at the bottom of a small bag, and is fairly light for its durability.

As far as washing goes. Biological soaps don't really effect waterproofing, but do dissolve the glues that hold the laminates together so the jacket will basically start to fall apart at the seams.

Nikwax and other waterproofing treatments only put on a layer of a chemical to make the water bead up and run off the jacket to improve breathability, they dont actually make a jacket more waterproof. Also, ironing a Gore jacket on a low heats help the beading process apparently.

Dom
  • Jacket - Altura Nevis - £40. Never ever get wet and I ride hard (every day).
    Trousers - Regatta performance something or other. £18, totally waterproof and dry.

Neither are GoreTex, both work a treat.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • Pippen33
    Pippen33 Posts: 235
    I now have eVent and GoreTex embroidered on my forehead. Cheers guys. Will make good use of that.

Just a question for Matteeboy, do you keep dry on the inside from condensation / perspiration
    spammer
  • Pippen - Absolutely bone dry.
    I've had so called breathable stuff that hasn't worked (found out a jacket wasn't breathable when I got a soaking at the top of a 3500ft high Scottish mountain in minus 4 degrees!) but this stuff all works very well.
    Really do push my kit hard so if it doesn't work, I bin it.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org