Forest of Bowland ride

Steve GT
Steve GT Posts: 383
I am planning to do a ride in the Forest of Bowland area over the festive period.
It's an area I have only visited once before on a bike and that was on ONB's Xmas burner ride from 2 years ago. As I thought that route was a very good one, I have always wanted to go back and do it again. So as I will have some spare time over this festive period, I am planning to do the route again, but have added an extra 10 miles or so to the route to extend the ride to 50 miles.
The ride will start and end at the car park in Clapham, North Yorkshire.
The route is Clapham, over Catlow fell, past Stocks reservoir, Grindelton, West Bradford, Waddington, Whitewell, Dunsop Bridge. Cafe stop here and then carry on to Newton, Slaidburn, over Tatham fells and back to Clapham.
Anybody interested in doing the ride as well?
I have 2 dates in mind, either Saturday the 22nd December or Thursday 27th December.
If you are interested please let me know your preferred date.
The ride will start at 10 AM on the preferred date.
Crediamo in te, bici!
My Bikes.

Comments

• ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Hi Steve.

That sounds like a nice route and I'd love to join you for the ride, but I'll be away at that time of year. Have a good one anyway!

You must ride The Trough of Bowland some time too - that is lovely.

I really like the Forest of Bowland and ride around up there several times a year. For those of you who don't know, it is so-named because it was a royal hunting ground rather than because it was covered with trees.

I have a FoB route planned for a century ride next summer, starting at Mytholmroyd and heading out into the FoB and back in a big figure of 8. I'll post details of that in late spring, 2008.
  • Steve GT
    ColinJ wrote:
    Hi Steve.

That sounds like a nice route and I'd love to join you for the ride, but I'll be away at that time of year. Have a good one anyway!

You must ride The Trough of Bowland some time too - that is lovely.

I really like the Forest of Bowland and ride around up there several times a year. For those of you who don't know, it is so-named because it was a royal hunting ground rather than because it was covered with trees.

I have a FoB route planned for a century ride next summer, starting at Mytholmroyd and heading out into the FoB and back in a big figure of 8. I'll post details of that in late spring, 2008.

Hi Colin.
    Sorry to hear that you cannot make it.
    I will look out for your planned ride in the summer and if possible will join you, maybe not for the whole loop but for a fair deal of it.
    Have a good festive season.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • fraz167
    fraz167 Posts: 142
    Hi Steve,

Hope you are well

I can possibly do the Saturday, I will be travelling up to Scotland for Christmas, so could do that on Sunday.

Cheers
    Fraser
  • Steve GT
    fraz167 wrote:
    Hi Steve,

Hope you are well

I can possibly do the Saturday, I will be travelling up to Scotland for Christmas, so could do that on Sunday.

Cheers
    Fraser

Hi Frazer.

Hope you can make it.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    I'm tempted, but already aim to do Winter Solstice 200 (23rd) and Dave's Xmas pud burner/ Dales ride (29th) and need to leave some time to do other things - there's just too much going on over Xmas!
  • ITs David ,dave is the domain of used car salesmen. :evil: :!:
    Ive a dream a titanium machine.
    Garlic MARMITE and milklesstea exponent.
  • Steve GT
    A quick update.
    The majority of people interested in doing the ride have indicated that they would prefer the 27th December, so that's when the ride will take place.
    Regards.
    Steve GT.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Blonde
    ITs David ,dave is the domain of used car salesmen. :evil: :!:

It's also a new TV channel. Worrying.
  • Blonde
    Steve, we should be able to make it (barring downpours or blizzards).
  • Steve GT
    Blonde wrote:
    Steve, we should be able to make it (barring downpours or blizzards).

Thats great Leo.
    Yep I agree, if it's a blizzard or a downpour then the ride will be cancelled.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • We did blizzards before or is that what put you off. :o and downpours last year come to think of it.
  • Steve GT
    We did blizzards before or is that what put you off. :o and downpours last year come to think of it.
    2005 - Light snow! I found it great fun.
    2006 - The rains started more than half way through. Martin and I still cycled back to Menston (me) and Leeds (him)! I was soaked to the skin by the time I got home!
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Nice bikes Steve how does titanium and carbon fibre compare . :?:
  • Steve GT
    Nice bikes Steve how does titanium and carbon fibre compare . :?:
    It's hard to compare as they are set up differently. The Airborne has a triple and the Colnago a compact chainring. The longest ride I have done with the Colnago is 80 miles and have only done a total of 600 miles on it.
    It's obviously much lighter than the Airborne and I get up hills much quicker (but still feel as knackered!). I have found I can still stay in the big chainring (50/24) on the Colnago going up hills I would have been doing using a 42/25 combination on my Airborne. On the longest ride I made with the Colnago I was starting to get sore wrists, but I put that down to the K Sword bars.
    In July I did a 600km 4 day trip on the Airborne and found it extremely comfortable, no major aches or pains, apart from general fatigue. It's a bike I can ride all day in comfort.
    I love all my bikes, even the Pompino I use to commute with over here in Copenhagen, but if I wanted to do a quick 100KM I would use the Colnago (and the sun was shing!). If I wanted to do a more social ride or an allday trip, I would use the Airborne. 8)
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Steve GT wrote:
    I love all my bikes, even the Pompino I use to commute with over here in Copenhagen......

Copenhagen!!!! That's a fair commute from Menston, isn't it? :)

Andrew
  • Steve GT wrote:
    I love all my bikes, even the Pompino I use to commute with over here in Copenhagen......

Copenhagen!!!! That's a fair commute from Menston, isn't it? :)

Andrew

I was just about to post something to that efect :lol:
  • Steve GT
    Fitting the water wheels in Newcastle is a bit of a pain :!: :roll: :roll:
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Steve GT
    Bump.
    The route I have planned can be seen here.

The cafe stop is after quite a long stretch of 28.5 miles, sorry! Maybe some Soreen will come in handy!
    As I said earlier we will meet in the pay and display car park. It is well sign posted and I am 95% sure that there is only the one 'pay and display' carpark in Clapham.
    We will start at 10:00 and should be back before it gets dark if we don't dawdle, so I don't think we will need lights, but if you have them attached to the bike you will be bringing it may be advisable, you never know if we run into trouble.
    They were a few people that replied saying that they are provisionally interested, if they are now more definite, could I have a rollcall of those that will be attending?
    Regards.
    Steve GT.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Steve GT
    The start point is now changed.
    We are now going to meet up in the pay and display car park on Edisford Road, Clitheroe.
    This is opposite the sports fields / leisure centre.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.