Sportive section required

nickwill
nickwill Posts: 2,735
There is a post in the Bike Radar Office, suggesting a sportive section for the forum.
We've had a reply from site admin, that they will be happy to oblige if there is enough interest.
The best way to demonstrate that interest would be for people to add to the following thread if they would like to see that happen:
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12550458 .
It would be nice to have somewhere to discuss what is undoubtedly the growth area in British cycling.

Comments

• bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Good idea.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • A sensible thing to do I would have thought.

As already said, mass leaisure rides are by far the fastest growth interest area in the UK(my reliable source informs me)

Cyclosport postings are scattered all over the place on this and other forums.
  • Hmmm problem is there is a whole website devoted just to sportives

www.cyclosport.co.uk

with its very own forum too.
  • Hmmm problem is there is a whole website devoted just to sportives

www.cyclosport.co.uk

with its very own forum too.

The trouble is that you have to register before you can even lurk. I prefer to do this for a while before deciding whether to entrust any personal details to a forum.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Yup, this would be a section I'd turn to. I'd be interested in reading other people's recommendations in advance of a ride, along with any reports of people's scouting trips, and of course those stories of delight (or woe!) following the event.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Personally I think there are enough sections in this form as it is.
    Looking at the freqency of posts in this form I am not convinced there is a need for another section.
  • I agree that too many setions causes confusion but the new section looks like it would replace lesser used sections. At the moment the first impression when looking at the forum is that there is nowhere to post & no interest but it is just that threads are scattered thoughout the various forum sections.

Surely a dedicated sportive section would mean there would be less confusion as to where to post and an easier point of reference to find out info & discuss the subject....

I personally would like to be part of a forum that is independant of commercial editorial for example protecting its business interests by banning certain events that use competitors products & has no links to any governing body or interested party IACO, British Cycling etc

I believe bikeradar is that site & that it is already providing that service via the forum, it could just be made so much easier......

Post on the thread for or against in the bike radar office..............

Matt
    Actions speak louder than words, a man stands by his deeds, thought before action if you have time.
  • oldwelshman
    I still don't see the need for it.
    A sportive is a ride and we have a ride section.
    It is not a race so woukd not be under race section.
    So currently there is a mtb section, then the road section which has track, rides, training, race?
    Is that not enough?
    I do not see any difficulty or confusion in using the rides section for sportives?
    Next we will be having another for audaxe, then charity rides, etc.
    Keep it simple, rides cover all rides except racing?
    Again, there are not that many posts in here for sportives so is there really justification for another section?
  • Posted a rely to this in the bike office thread oldwelshman :)
    Actions speak louder than words, a man stands by his deeds, thought before action if you have time.
  • and...the cyclosport site is commercially independant, feature good reviews of each event, the editors ride the events themselves. is this just laziness wanting to duplicate the information in here....?
  • and...the cyclosport site is commercially independant, feature good reviews of each event, the editors ride the events themselves. is this just laziness wanting to duplicate the information in here....?

the www.cyclosport.org website is very easy to register on without giving out a great deal of personal information and it is the one site that is used by nearly all sportive organisers as well as riders

Peter Harrison
    organiser
    Northern Rock Cyclone
    www.northernrockcyclone.co.uk

PS entries for 2008 open o the site next friday night (30th Nov.)
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I still don't see the need for it.
    A sportive is a ride and we have a ride section.
    It is not a race so woukd not be under race section.
    So currently there is a mtb section, then the road section which has track, rides, training, race?
    Is that not enough?
    I do not see any difficulty or confusion in using the rides section for sportives?
    Next we will be having another for audaxe, then charity rides, etc.
    Keep it simple, rides cover all rides except racing?
    Again, there are not that many posts in here for sportives so is there really justification for another section?

+1
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Can´t see the harm in a sportive section, Sportives are HUGE in the UK now, yes Cyclosport.org does do a great job with sportives...but maybe also having a section dedicated here aswell will also popularise the sportive´s, I bet tons of people would find out more about Sportives and the Cyclosport website through this forum...this forum covers all countries...

Everyone who rides sportives/organises them/has partnerships with events/has dedicated Sportive Websites should be behind any advertísement or Info regarding our Sportives...in theory it should only help the sportives....and that is what everyone wants :)

I infact found out about the Cyclosport.org forum through the Old C+ forum...I reckon others will be the same. :?:
  • RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Can´t see the harm in a sportive section, Sportives are HUGE in the UK now, yes Cyclosport.org does do a great job with sportives...but maybe also having a section dedicated here aswell will also popularise the sportive´s, I bet tons of people would find out more about Sportives and the Cyclosport website through this forum...this forum covers all countries...

Everyone who rides sportives/organises them/has partnerships with events/has dedicated Sportive Websites should be behind any advertísement or Info regarding our Sportives...in theory it should only help the sportives....and that is what everyone wants :)

I infact found out about the Cyclosport.org forum through the Old C+ forum...I reckon others will be the same. :?:

richboy - I wasn't advocating not having a sportive section on this site. Just thought I would let people know about the cyclosport website. I think it's a good idea to have one on here as well.
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    I read the forum staff would like to see the level of interest from forum members before they decide on making a sportive forum, so as a member I would find a sportive forum interesting.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Having said I was for it, I am now changing my mind.

I would like a clear place for Sportive discussion. But would like a rationalisation of the the current sub-forums rather than adding an extra one. See discussion here
    Rich
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    RichA wrote:
    Having said I was for it, I am now changing my mind.

I would like a clear place for Sportive discussion. But would like a rationalisation of the the current sub-forums rather than adding an extra one. See discussion here

If you look at the Procycling Office, Womans Racing and Track there isnt really much content in there so if they could be merged into some others then it would free up room for another forum.

Sportive related content is quite large in road rides forum so it could merit its own forum, but as I see it one or two present forums don't merit the use of space, so yes rationalisation would be better.
  • and folks have started posting sportives in Race..which we all know is totally inappropriate.... :wink:
  • Most people seem to recognise cyclosportives is the big thing in cycling at the moment and, on that basis the subject deserves its own section. A friend of mine emailed me to tell me about the goings on between cyclosport and BC yorkshire and it's becoming annoying having to spend time searching for things under inappropriate headings.

Also I think this forum is more or less left alone by the moderators in the correct way - which makes for more healthy discussion and often valuable, relevant, un-biased content.
  • oldwelshman
    Well it is quite simple, if people would just put sportive posts where they should really be, in rides, as it is a ride.
    I still dont really see that many sportive posts to warrant a seperate section.
    Maybe if someone hacked the cyclosport webstite and put a virus on it? :D
    Een on their websie there are not that many posts in the forum !!
    maybe spotive riders do not post much :D
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Think the answer to this is let evolution take its course.

Create a Sportives section and see how many posts it gets. If it gets a lot keep it, if not then let it die. My guess is it will stay which will benefit this section as it is in danger of being overwhelmed by sportive threads.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • oldwelshman
    I am not against the principle of a sportive section, I ride sportives myself. Just worried it is another menu to browse.
    Look in this section and you will see 48 replies to the etape sticky and 12 replies to the uk sportive, it is hardly overwhelming response and looks unlikey to swamp the rides section :D
    I just find it more convenient to scroll down the rides section for posts on club runs, friendly organised rides and sportives.
    If you check, even in the rides section there are only about 10 new posts per day, including sportive entries so doesnt look that busy.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    If you check, even in the rides section there are only about 10 new posts per day, including sportive entries so doesnt look that busy.

I think there will be a lot more once the new season approaches, particularly in a separate section.
    I think your point about sportives being 'just rides', could be seen as equally valid with regard to races and time trials. All these are different sorts of 'ride', but I still think they merit separate sections.
  • oldwelshman
    This could get too complex and simplicity is best :D
    yes technicall TT and road race are differen as is track but in my opinion should be lumped together in race.
    I think it is better to have race which inclused all "competative" races such as track, tt, and road rae, then all others under rides such as sportive, audax, club run, organised rides etc.
    Then I would only have to browse two categories.
    it would be an overkill to have a seperate section for each.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Whats to lose? Lets have a sportive section, it makes sense, whether or not you decide whether its a ride or a race its important to recognise its a vital part of cycling in the UK, especially with current UK attitudes, if these events popularise cycling then we should do our utmost to provide support....
  • RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Whats to lose? Lets have a sportive section, it makes sense, whether or not you decide whether its a ride or a race its important to recognise its a vital part of cycling in the UK, especially with current UK attitudes, if these events popularise cycling then we should do our utmost to provide support....

Richyboy, get them galvanised on this site, between us we created a new sportive taking in the devils staircase, keep poking 'em! Mark :D
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • oldwelshman
    Well a compromise seems to have been reached :D
    Sportives and rides, lets see how many extra posts we get coem on you sporties :D
  • and anyway Race is nowt about forumites racing, more a debating shop for the RR pro scene.
  • oldwelshman
    yep I noticed that Steve.
    See quite a few racing guys post in velo riders and one or two other forums.