Are you a Magistrate?

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
Are there any magistrates on this forum?

If not, then any reason you don't volunteer to be one?
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    no one ever asked me
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    That's odd - I was thinking about this the other day.

How do you become one?
  • spen666
    andyp wrote:
    That's odd - I was thinking about this the other day.

How do you become one?

try here for details

Magistrates

Twittering @spen_666
  • Porgy
    do they accept anarchists? :twisted:
  • interesting... i''ve learned something new today (other than that dnoward advises choosing a bike on the basis of colour and eh has imaginary tri-bars consisting of shimano gear cables).

doubt my employer would be keen on 26 half days pa off though.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    No. I was on the other side of the fence once, so to speak :oops: You need a certain level of arrogance to be a magistrate, which fortunately I don't posess :D
  • NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    My dad's one and he loves it.

Pretty honourable way of volunteering, if you ask me.
  • spen666
    I'm curious as to why people do not volunteer

[ No- i'm not one- nor am I involved in recruiting for them. In fact I've had several "run-ins" with them over the years]

Twittering @spen_666
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    spen666 wrote:

[ No- i'm not one- nor am I involved in recruiting for them. In fact I've had several "run-ins" with them over the years]
    I don't feel old enough. Then I realised I'll be 40 soon.

I was thinking it would be an interesting thing to do and a useful way of putting some time into my local community. I'm not sure how it would sit with my employer though.
  • spen666
    andyp wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

I don't feel old enough. Then I realised I'll be 40 soon.

I was thinking it would be an interesting thing to do and a useful way of putting some time into my local community. I'm not sure how it would sit with my employer though.

They are keen to recruit younger magistrates.

depending on your employer- it might sit very well- good for prestige of firm to have magistrate working for them- makes them appear more reputable?

Twittering @spen_666
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I can think of several reasons why people would not volunteer:

1. They are self-absorbed and would never contemplate doing anything for the wider community. After all, for them, there's no such thing as society anyway.
    2. They are anti-establishment and would rather remain outside the tent, pissing in.
    3. They are conflict-averse, and would feel really uncomfortable in the middle of an adversarial process, even (perhaps especially) if they had to make a judgement about it.
    4. They are self-conscious and imagine that you have to be old, articulate, upper middle class, connected, tweedy, white, male and anglo-saxon to make a good Magistrate.
    5. They have a criminal record.
    6. They are lazy.

I am not telling you which of these reasons may or may not apply to me!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Porgy wrote:

Do they accept nazis? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    I have pain!
  • Porgy
    ivancarlos wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

i should think so :roll:
  • spen666
    Porgy wrote:
    ivancarlos wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

i should think so :roll:

No they have to become High court Judges :evil: :twisted:

Twittering @spen_666
  • Some of us don't believe the British legal system supports the community effectively so will boycott it. That's my stance.

Justice is not for all.
  • I am a white male (and exceptionally proud of it - joke, I'm actually terribly guilt ridden. That I cycle makes it even worse). That wouldn't put me off becoming a magistrate, though suspect it would reduce my chances somewhat.

It's the 26 1/2 days that's the killer ... how many employers will agree to that??
  • Porgy
    I suspect my card is marked somewhere. Years of association with known anarchists and lefties, organising and taking part in demonstrations, generally troublemaking in the name of anti-Corporatism.

I'm the only person in my circle - family and friends, colleagues - who's never been called up for jury service. In fact I know people who've been called up several times. I'm 41 and have never been called up once.

I may apply for being a magistrate at some point and see how far my application goes.
  • spen666
    Porgy wrote:
    I suspect my card is marked somewhere. Years of association with known anarchists and lefties, organising and taking part in demonstrations, generally troublemaking in the name of anti-Corporatism.

I'm the only person in my circle - family and friends, colleagues - who's never been called up for jury service. In fact I know people who've been called up several times. I'm 41 and have never been called up once.

I may apply for being a magistrate at some point and see how far my application goes.

I've never been called up for jury service either

In fact none of my family or close friends have either. Perhaps my card is filed with yours

Twittering @spen_666
  • Porgy
    spen666 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

In fact none of my family or close friends have either. Perhaps my card is filed with yours

Perhaps I'm being paranoid - but with the experiences I had in the 90s that may not be entirely surprising.
  • spen666
    Porgy wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

Perhaps I'm being paranoid - but with the experiences I had in the 90s that may not be entirely surprising.

I didn't realise you knew me in the 1990s

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666
    Some of us don't believe the British legal system supports the community effectively so will boycott it. That's my stance.

Justice is not for all.

firstly there is not a BRITISH legal system - there is an English and Welsh one and a separate Scottish one and separate again in Northern Ireland.

The Scottish and English systems are founded on completely different types of law/legal systems

if you boycott the system, what do you propose to replace it or do you favour anarchy?

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    Some of us don't believe the British legal system supports the community effectively so will boycott it. That's my stance.

Justice is not for all.

firstly there is not a BRITISH legal system - there is an English and Welsh one and a separate Scottish one and separate again in Northern Ireland.

The Scottish and English systems are founded on completely different types of law/legal systems

if you boycott the system, what do you propose to replace it or do you favour anarchy?

Here we go another spen666 masterpiece.

Regional differences noted and ignored.

I favour a happy anarchy :)