favourite position?

popette
popette Posts: 2,089
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
I prefer hands on the bar either side of the stem, second favourite is on the hoods. I just cant' seem to get comfy on the drops as it feels like i'm bashing my knees into my stomach/chest. I try to ride a short section of every ride on the drops - will it get any easier?

:wink:

Comments

• Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Generally it depends on what I'm doing, be it climbing, spinning, sprinting... I only really tend to use the drops if I'm riding into a headwind and want to get down and low.

Majority of the time I do ride on the tops, but that's because my bars are just so damn comfy up there.... :D

221994815-M-1.jpg
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    general riding I'm on the hoods
    If I'm relaxing or stretching out my back then it's the flats
    sprinting or into heavy wind then I'm on the drops

That's how I roll
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Whats all this cycling guff doing on cakestop!?
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...yeah, I thought it was gonna be about sex :wink:
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    When I throw my leg over my ride of choice I like to take a firm grip and get a decent rhythm before really putting the hammer down, occasionally touching on the hood... Then it's time to ride her hard, sometimes standing for as long as my legs can take it sometimes slumping back into the saddle...

Etc...

:oops:
  • popette
    edited November 2007
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    When I throw my leg over my ride of choice I like to take a firm grip and get a decent rhythm before really putting the hammer down, occasionally touching on the hood... Then it's time to ride her hard, sometimes standing for as long as my legs can take it sometimes slumping back into the saddle...

Etc...

:oops:

:lol::lol::lol:
  • On top for me, though you cant beat hands on your hood for comfort. If you're bashing your chest, sounds like your stem is too short......
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...slow warm up...then head down and go for it...followed by a good hard ride...sprint for home...and a smooth relaxed wind down... :P :wink:
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,097
    When I was a junior I'd go from the gun, giving it everything for a brief period before going off like a two bob rocket. :oops:

Now I'm older it takes me ages to get going but once I do I can ride all day. :wink:
  • popette
    On top for me, though you cant beat hands on your hood for comfort. If you're bashing your chest, sounds like your stem is too short......

mmmmm, not sure if this is a rude one or not. I thought the stem I was using was just about perfect for me :wink: .
  • CHRISNOIR
    Stem length is crucial... It can make for a much more satisfying ride.

:wink:
  • SteveR_100Milers wrote:
    On top for me, though you cant beat hands on your hood for comfort. If you're bashing your chest, sounds like your stem is too short......

...or your chest is too big...

Photo please, so we can advise properly.
  • popette
    edited November 2007
  • Sounds like we should all getting out more. Or get more out of staying in.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • Hey Mog,

I like your bars. I reckon my arthritic paws could get comfy on those. Do you mind me asking what they are? Make, model etc.
    Perpetuating the myth that Lincolnshire is flat.
  • I use a fatter stem for rigidity and riding fixed means I have to adapt to the ride I'm on from a fast rhythm going down to a slow steady ryhthm going up, just don't stop or you get thrown off :wink:
  • I've tried using Kangaroo skin to cover my stem, ideal when doing a bit of rough-stuff, as you get far longer jumps.
    Usually I'm to be found hanging out the back, trying to find a slot to get back in again.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • CHRISNOIR
    Stay safe though. Make sure your rubber's up to the job - it can be dangerous out there this time of year...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    It's pretty hard to ride on the drops for really long lengths of time, even for the pros.
    It's just not that comfortable. Most riders and racers tend to move their hands around
    to different places on the bars as they ride. Mostly it's a comfort thing. If you plan on riding
    a lot, comfort on a bike is pretty much everything and it's not just the bars. Seat height,
    stem length, saddle angle, seat fore & aft position, all affect comfort, not to mention performance.

Dennis Noward
  • Not sure if this is old news, but one or two of these look quite interesting. Might be worth waiting until it stops raining before trying them out though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiE1Qm7HSd8
  • Where is Fnaar when you need him eh..?? Over at cyclochat no doubt the old tart.

Stem length is indeed critical, too long and you really have to stretch, too short, and you might lose feel and crash.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Tube diameter is more critical to comfort than stem length in my experience - nothing worse than investing in a new fat tube, only to discover it goes soft all the time due to lack of pressure; often caused by blow outs.

Mind you, thin tubes have their disadvantages. Pump the pressure up too high and you could lose your teeth when riding the rough stuff.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    Stay safe though. Make sure your rubber's up to the job - it can be dangerous out there this time of year...
    Hey Mog,

I like your bars. I reckon my arthritic paws could get comfy on those. Do you mind me asking what they are? Make, model etc.

Look guys, is this a perv thread or isn't it? make your minds up. :twisted:
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • shazzz wrote:
    Tube diameter is more critical to comfort than stem length in my experience - nothing worse than investing in a new fat tube, only to discover it goes soft all the time due to lack of pressure; often caused by blow outs.

Mind you, thin tubes have their disadvantages. Pump the pressure up too high and you could lose your teeth when riding the rough stuff.

class... :D
  • Forget about the length of your stem, it's the rigidity of your bar that makes for a good hard ride!

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Mog Uk wrote:
    Generally it depends on what I'm doing, be it climbing, spinning, sprinting... I only really tend to use the drops if I'm riding into a headwind and want to get down and low.

Majority of the time I do ride on the tops, but that's because my bars are just so damn comfy up there.... :D

221994815-M-1.jpg

sorry - I;m going to break from the rudeness and ask..

what are those bars - they are gorgeous!!!
  • popette
    edited November 2007
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    gkerr4 wrote:

sorry - I;m going to break from the rudeness and ask..

what are those bars - they are gorgeous!!!

Aspire :wink:

Anyway as you were, back to hoods, shafts, girth and rigidity......
  • My brother is the proud owner of a Pompino fixie, but apparently he is blissfully unaware of what 'pompino' means in Italian. Is this still on-topic?
  • popette
    so am I - what does it mean Lightbox?