Specialized Tricross

simmo3801
simmo3801 Posts: 486
edited December 2007 in Road general
I have read various forums now regarding single speed and with the risk of incurring the wrath of the purists with their old skool frames I ask the following. Is the Spec single speed / fixed Tricross any good? I'm mainly after a bike I can use for training rides with mudguards through the winter and with the bike4work scheme thought I'd give fixed a try. As far as I can make out this would be one of the better off the peg single speeds for this as it has mudguard eyelets. My problem is I have neither the technical know how or more importantly the time to be fettling away with a 1970s frame in the garage when I can just sign up to the scheme and take advantage of the savings. My other question is this: Apart from riding them in cities / towns does anyone actually ride these type of bikes away from built up areas. As I live in the Scottish borders I'm not too worried about buying a mass produced brand name bike as in all the time I've lived and cycled here I've never seen anyone out on a fixed wheel.
Does anyone know if the tricross has a flip flop rear wheel to break me in gently?

Thanks
Giant Anthem X3 2013

Comments

• Jo
    Jo Posts: 134
    working backwards...

the Singlecross has a flip-flop rear-wheel so you can ride fixed or with a freewheel.

i ride mine off-road and so have had to change the gear, the supplied 42/18 is a bit harsh for anything but tarmac, i've changed the front to a 38 and that makes it ok off-road, your mileage and fitness may vary though.

off the shelf i'd say it's merely ok, the frame is excellent with some nice features and lots off mounts for racks and bottles.
    but compromises have had to be made on some of the components to keep it to a price, the headset and hub bearings haven't liked getting wet and muddy at all.
  • Thanks.

I'll only be using it on road so would prob change tyres and add nudguards so hopefully bearings not a prob. Also looking at Pearson Touche...........
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    Also looking at getting a fixed and I incurred the rath of various forum members by suggesting a Spesh Langster.

It also has eylets for mudguards and a rack and is cheaper than the Tricross
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Ashley,

The langster has eylets for a rack yes, but it doesn't fit mudguards. There isn't the clearance. You would need to use race-blades - which are ok,thats what I have on my 07 langster.

saw an 08 model in a store the other day actually - inthe dark green colour - I actually thought it was black until I got up-close. Looks really nice!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    simmo3801 wrote:
    Apart from riding them in cities / towns does anyone actually ride these type of bikes away from built up areas.
    I've got a fixed wheel winter bike that I never use in town, just for short sharp training rides. Don't tend to use it for our club runs as my legs couldn't cope with the distance on fixed and it's not so easy to ride in a group.

Gear choice is fairly crucial if using on undulating terrain - not too big that you can't get up the hills and not too small that you can't spin down the other side. I use 42x17 (67") which many on here would find too small, but I find is a reasonable compromise, but I do end up using the brakes on fast descents as I spin out at around 27mph.
  • Thanks for that guys. Went to LBS to have a look today as they had both the Langster and the tricross in stock. I really like the colour of the Langster but it's a shame about fitting mudguards which is why I thought about the Tricross.

gkerr4 are they easy enough to fit and more importantly do they stay in place? I'd prefer the Langster so this might be an option??
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    gkerr4 wrote:
    Ashley,

The langster has eylets for a rack yes, but it doesn't fit mudguards. There isn't the clearance. You would need to use race-blades - which are ok,thats what I have on my 07 langster.

saw an 08 model in a store the other day actually - inthe dark green colour - I actually thought it was black until I got up-close. Looks really nice!

Ah yes you're right, was thinking of race blade guards, talked to my LBS the other week about it

Would have bought it already except I'm going in for a stomach hernia op in a couple of weeks and reckon its probably not the best time to start riding fixed! :shock:

Do like the colour scheme of the Langster though
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • OS 65
    OS 65 Posts: 415
    I nearly bought a Tri Cross fixed, it looks really sexy but I thought the front fork looked ugly and seemed to be the same as those used on lower spec town bikes so it put me off (very shallow I know! but part of the fun with a fixed is they look so cool)

The Lemond Filamore has room for mudguards by all account but you'd need extra attachments to fit them because it has no brazeons. The bike shop could sort that out for you. Same goes for the Genesis fixed, another recommended bike.

OS 65