Training Schedule

willbevan
willbevan Posts: 1,241
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
Hi guys,

This could go into this forum, or the training but thought it might be slightly more suited in here.

Basically coming from a running background where there is an abundance of training schedules a newbie like myself could easily find one to suit him....

Now im having trouble finding any beginner biking schedules? :S

Am i just putting the wrong things into google for example? as i'm having more luck finding triathlon schedules??!?!

Oh my last long ride was 31mi, and dam that was hard!

Thanks

Will
Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
MTB - Trek Fuel 80
TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/

Comments

• It is better in training, but start by asking by what do want to achieve?
  • muz250
    muz250 Posts: 95
    I have the same question, Am trying to get fit and wonder if theres a set structure of riding / exercising I should be doing.

As iv said before am new to cycling, my fav sport is motocross but had a bad year spoiled by twisting my knee, as the year has went by Iv lost all fitness due to lack of riding time and went from beging around 12st to 13.5st. My knee is still not fixed but I find cycling is making my knee stronger and am feeling better. The mx season starts around march / april time and I,d like to be as fit as can by then, and I,d like to be far better cyclist as well, in terms of endurance and speed. I just wondering if theres any basic fitness / diet plans out there that I could use as a guide? (e.g miles I should ride, should I try and find every hill i can etc etc.....).
  • Joe Friel - Cyclist training bible. Has everything you need and is generally well regarded.
  • bombdogs
    bombdogs Posts: 107
    Think i may have just the thing for you. Now this is a bit encompassing, but you can take what you want from it.
    The first link is to something I posted on my club's website and is a training scehdule for beginners. I havent had a chance to write up an advanced or elite one yet, but it's the best i can do in the meantime.
    The other is about winter training and is featured on my blog. Have a read and see what you think. I'll prob update the blog site this friday with some kinda training schedule for beginners, advance etc. Keep looking though, I have been in the same boat as everyone else and couldn't find all the info I wanted in the one place when I first started - good job i saved it all in case i needed it.
    Good luck with the training. Let me know how you go on via the blog or leave a comment on the blogsite if think of anything to add to it.
    James

liverpoolmercury.co.uk/forums/thread/1079.aspx

www.bikenut.merseyblogs.co.uk/
  • LAnce armstrong (not really him of course!) 7 week programme (or something similar) seems a sensible way to get started - measures where you stand now, offers 3 progressive programmes (beginner/intermediate/advanced, suggests some sessions that could be done on a turbo for those that are keen).
    Coming from running heart/lungs/brain are used to doing exercise so bike work needs to be building distance for experience & hardening your bum, fine tuning techniques/bike handling and getting muscles used to doing soemthing different from running.
    if you have a specific goal for next season that also need to be adressed - long rides, Marmotte, evening TTs all benefit from specific training
  • willbevan
    cheers chaps

Well im looking to up my millage, my speed, and my hill climbing...

Now i know this wont happen over night... and not all together.... start with the endurance and build a good base before anything else...

At the moment I am doing the following:

Tuesday 12-20 miles
    Thursday 12-20 miles

Now its varying milage as its with the local cycle club, now im slow, averaging 11-14mi but there all great people and wait for everyone at the hills etc.

I was thinking of adding a long ride in on Saturday, so i have as much time as possible to recover before the next club ride tuesday, did 31 sunday, so thinking of starting there and increasing 10% a week gently.. wont be flat, but underlating, but gentle compared to my normal rides, as will just build time in the saddle...

Now with my running, i wouldn't do anything but normal aerobic sessions till I have this base... im more cycling unfit at the moment that unfit.. as my legs arnt used to it.. After 31miles my heart rate was dropping.... becuase my legs couldnt actually pedal faster :S not something im used to from when i was running, after say 18miles my hearrate would still be as high as i let it get

Any opinions would be good. Have to admit i didn't want to buy a book as was being cheap i guess and expecting loads of example traning sessions to be on the net like running :S but if it is then so be it.

Thanks

Will
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

• All, The Long Distant Cyclists Handbook Second Edition written by Simon Doughty has on Page 157 a grid like template for a Training Schedule, Get it from your local library ....
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Ooooh I remember that!!!

It's quite inspirational reading about the RAAM and ultra endurance events.

It's a good all rounder, but I think the cyclists training bible would be a better choice for a traiining timetable (also look at serious cycling, but thats quite advanced and for the first couple of months if not longer you would probably be stuck on chapter 1- endurance base building)
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • willbevan
    hmm dont mind a long time in base building, being honest im thinking of staying in that phase till end of Feb... building slowly up, long run 5mi incrase a week for 3 weeks, then back off for one week... etc

Now my question is...

When i used to run, 10% was an okay incease

i.e. 15-17.5 miles was an okay jump for a long run...

Now looking at a 40mi long ride (i only did 31mi last weekend, but am going to try very gently a flat 40mi this weekend..) would going from 40-45mi, even though its about 10% (okay 44mi would be)... be okay?

Seems a big jump :S
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    If your new to cycling, forget the training manuals, get out and ride and enjoy it, dont get bogged down in the technical isses of training, theres plenty of time for that in the future :D
  • mackdaddy wrote:
    Joe Friel - Cyclist training bible. Has everything you need and is generally well regarded.
    Have a read of this thread:
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/t423908.html

Interestingly, Friel himself has now acknowledged that much his previous advice on base training was wrong and sub-optimal.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    willbevan wrote:
    At the moment I am doing the following:

Tuesday 12-20 miles
    Thursday 12-20 miles

Now its varying milage as its with the local cycle club, now im slow, averaging 11-14mi but there all great people and wait for everyone at the hills etc.

Will

11-14 average is ok mate over that distance - with virtually no wind and on the flat it can be fairly easy/comfortable avg 18 mph for a period of time - however, if you add in a few 0.75-1 km hills at 7-10% staying at 18mph or similar can be much more problematic when your fairly new on the Road.
  • willbevan
    Mettan wrote:
    willbevan wrote:

11-14 average is ok mate over that distance - with virtually no wind and on the flat it can be fairly easy/comfortable avg 18 mph for a period of time - however, if you add in a few 0.75-1 km hills at 7-10% staying at 18mph or similar can be much more problematic when your fairly new on the Road.

Thanks for the words of encorugagment, hmm i definetly have noticed how weak up hills(already noticed a differecne from when i started with them about a month ago), did 25mi with a chap (and 3 miles eahc end getting home) with 2300ft of climb according to motionbased, which dam i was slow up those hills, i got up everyone but the chap i was with was going up and down up and down practising his hill form while waiting for me, which im glad he was happy to do, rather than having to wait for me etc, link below to it if your interested. Thankfully plent of down hill to :D

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4471083
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon