Bad back and suspension fork set-up

Andrew Brown
Andrew Brown Posts: 30
edited December 2007 in Health, fitness & training
After hanging on to my trusty fuly rigid Kona for many years last I finally gave in to temptation and splashed out on a Giant XTC with front suspension.

I have had a bad back that has flared up a couple of times per year for a number of years now. You know the type, it stiffens up, you take it easy for a week or so and it gradually eases itself over the next couple of weeks.

Although I can't link the two it seems to be worse since i started riding with suspension forks.

I don't think its the position on my new bike, I'm less stretched out and sat more upright than on my old bike, although I did try changing my saddle height and reach but it made no difference.

The latest in a long line of straws I have grasped at in trying to find the source of my back condition is whether I have the the forks set up correctly, I do recall my back jarring a number of times when the forks have sprung into action (the forks are rock shox J2 by the way).

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Or is the jarring just highlighting an existing weakness in my back?

Comments