Tight Veloflex Tyres...

4candles
4candles Posts: 240
edited November 2007 in Road general
... i've just got some Veloflex Pave Kevlar tyres and have had real trouble fitting them to some new old stock Campagnolo Omega 'V' hardox rims, these are for track use not that that really matters...

Has anybody else had trouble fitting this brand of tyre too ?

regards
ed.

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    4candles wrote:
    Has anybody else had trouble fitting this brand of tyre too ?

regards
    ed.
    Oh yeah! Veloflex Records on my Navigator deep rim carbon clinchers. Usually involves a chunk of time and much swearing and sweating! :lol: But it's only a problem when they're new out of the box and fitted for the 1st time.

These are also used on the track and I use Records as they have a higher max pressure.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    Yep, every time. They're tight as buggery and stretch quite a bit, so first time is the real issue. Try stretching them first by putting your foot on the tyre and giving it a good yank or three. Sometimes you just have to use [plastic] tyre levers and take the chance on pinching a tube, which, if you go careful, should be avoided ok.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • 4candles
    4candles Posts: 240
    [/quote]
    These are also used on the track and I use Records as they have a higher max pressure.[/quote]

Ah but i'll be riding at Welwyn.. hence the pave tyres as they've had a lot of punctures there.

Cheers for the advice on the Veloflex tryes everybody, as i wasn't looking forward to removing them. :wink:
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    4candles wrote:
    Ah but i'll be riding at Welwyn.. hence the pave tyres as they've had a lot of punctures there.
    Ah, that explains it all! :wink:

I thought that the Welwyn puncture problem was supposed to have been sorted with new surface coating in places on the track? Obviously hasn't been done yet. I have only ridden once at Welwyn when the National Masters was held there last year - lost 2 brand new tubs just warming up and ended up racing on clinchers all weekend!

We have started to develop a bit of a puncture problem at Reading too - I lost 3 Vittoria Pista EVO CS tubs there in space of 6 days. My clincher wheels are for training and just such eventualities...
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.