Thinking time ....

pjh
pjh Posts: 204
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
I only started cycling 3 months ago and I did it primarily as a fitness 'thing'. Already in that time I've seen substantial gains i.e. knocking 15 minutes of my 10 mile time etc.

But the BEST thing about cycling for me (which I didn't expect) is the thinking time it gives me :D

I now go out for an hour or two and find the zen-like trance I often get into gives me brilliant space and clarity of thought to sort out life's twists and turns :-)

Anyone else get the same benefit?

It's great to be .....

Comments

• Mad Mat
    Mad Mat Posts: 240
    It's good time to reflect and plan. I love going for a good thrash before I go to work.
    London to Paris 13/6/2007 sponsor me at WWW.justgiving.com/woodthorpe
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    For me cycling helps me keep things in perspective.If I have worries or had a bad day at work, getting a few miles in makes those problems seem trivial and I can see clearly my way through them.Being out and about makes me realise how much I have to be gratefull for and how trivial my worries really are. I agree PJH it's a good time to contemplate and reflect on life in general.I always get home with a smile on my face, even if it's pissing down and I'm soaking wet, life still seems great. :lol:
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Yup pjh certainly agree. Always feel much better after a decent cycle - helps me deal with stress and anxiety much better. Only problem is where 5 or 6 miles used to do it for me, i now need 30 or 40 miles over the weekend and i worry if i'll have the time :oops:

and its absolutely chucking it down today :evil: Ah well just have to see how water repellant those tights are :lol:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Chucking it down, cold, windy. time to head to the garage and the rollers back in an hour or so.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Yes pjh I find the same as you. It's a bit like meditation, and the key word is 'clarity'. Don't ignore the endos too, the real reason we all do this.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • I agree. I work from home and find it useful when planning/writing to do a pile of research and then go out for an hours ride. When I get back I put a pile of words into the computer, go and have a shower.

When I sit down to edit my work I find that I end up with a much better result than if I had just sat there and looked at the screen for the hour or just concentrated on what I was doing. It seems as though the thinking time on the bike allows me to process "stuff" in the background. BTW this only works when I go for a slow potter about - high intensity sessions do not have the same work benefit - but it is great to get some riding time into the day!

Ed
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    well actually went for a ride and although arms started to get a bit cold after an hour i managed to stay pretty dry. Mind is now clear and calm :D
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.