To join or not to join?????

dogllabtoof
dogllabtoof Posts: 52
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
Im new to riding, and plan on getting myself fit over the winter.

The question i have is should i be looking to join a club in the summer?

Im not sure that i want to ride in a competative environment, i would just like someone to ride with.

I know this is a very broad question, but are clubs generaly aimed at racing or do they have a social side to them?

Im based in the teesside area if anyone has any experience of clubs in this area.

Thanks

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Most clubs tend to be race orientated, especially during the summer months. If you are interested in strictly non-competitive riding look on the CTC website and they should be able to point you in the direction of your local section. They are generally knowledgeable and helpful riders, and CTC membership does also bring other benefits such as legal aid and cheap cycle insurance.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Any club that's affiliated to BC (that's worth it's salt) will have a steady run that's run at the pace of the slowest rider.

See here for a list of clubs in your area :-

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/clu/cluClubFinder.asp
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    I've just started riding with my local club about 3 weeks ago....

There rides over the winter are just social, start together finish together, great bunch! Wait for everyone at the top of the nasty hills, always happy to give advice to newbies like myself.

I was lucky i was coming from running(injureD) so i could jump on a bike and ride 15 miles without a problem with no previous cycling (well unles you count nasty hills im very slow up)

But i would contact your local sooner rather than later, never know what they do off season, i know my club is rather race oriented once the season starts again!
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Why wait until next summer - why not join a club now? This is the best time of year to start with club rides - this is many peoples' easy period, before they start ramping up the miles after the new year. A decent club will have a variety of runs to suit - if you don't like one try another club - they do vary. You will ride faster and longer in a bunch than you ever will on your own - too many new riders think that clubs are for racers only - some are, but many just go along for the quality of the rides.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    after going out on my own today ive emailed one of my local clubs, its too cold to go out on your own in the winter. Theres only so far motivation will take you!
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Most clubs tend to be race orientated, especially during the summer months. If you are interested in strictly non-competitive riding look on the CTC website..............
    Without wishing to sound argumentative, I'm not sure it is true to say that most clubs tend to be race orientated. I think it's fair to say most clubs are involved in racing in one way or another, but I'm struggling to think of many clubs that don't have plenty of non-racing members or who would lay on any member an expectation that they should race. My own club is proud of its racing successes and history, but less than a fifth of the membership are currently interested in racing and non-competitive cyclists are just as welcome as competitive types.

If your ambition is to go touring, or to ride at a fairly sedate pace, then do look up your local CTC group, otherwise, don't be intimidated by your local clubs just because you're not into racing. (And why wait until next summer? If a bit of company during the winter would be welcome, don't ride all winter on your own!)

Ruth
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    spasypaddy wrote:
    after going out on my own today ive emailed one of my local clubs, its too cold to go out on your own in the winter. Theres only so far motivation will take you!

me too Paddy. I've been toying wth the idea for months but after a day braving it out on my own in the cold and wind (and not really liking it too much) I'm definitely going to try out my local club next Sunday.
  • i am in exactly the same position as you guys...

love the thought of joining up local club but finding it difficult to take the plunge for number of reasons...

not knowing anyone
    never ridden over 15 miles (albeit do this twice a day for commute)
    never ridden in a group
    having to have everyone wait for me up every hill!

i will do it...just need to pluck up courage to show my face at 8.30 on a Saturday!
  • spasypaddy
    i emailed my local group but i dont expect a reply, i never seem to get a reply to these things... may just attempt to join them next sunday
  • popette
    Yes, I'm just going to turn up at the meeting point on Sunday
  • spasypaddy
    i emailed someone else from the club which looked more like a personal email than the other so hopefully will get a reply!
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    popette wrote:

Popette, who are you looking to hook up with. I've been looking at clubs in the area and seem to be spolit for choice....
  • Ste_S
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i emailed someone else from the club which looked more like a personal email than the other so hopefully will get a reply!

Always ring rather than email if they have a contact number, some clubs haven't joined the information age :wink:
  • spasypaddy
    Ste_S wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Always ring rather than email if they have a contact number, some clubs haven't joined the information age :wink:
    they've got lots of email address on their website, i shall leave it till thursday. if i havent heard anything then i shall find a phone number!
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i emailed my local group but i dont expect a reply, i never seem to get a reply to these things... may just attempt to join them next sunday

Go on, tell, who are you thinking about joining?
    Rich
  • spasypaddy
    RichA wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Go on, tell, who are you thinking about joining?
    http://www.southgatecc.org.uk/
  • Ste_S
    01992 428170 - There you go, give them a ring :wink:

Their jerseys are certainley very bright ! Quite like them.
  • spasypaddy
    i know theres a phone number but i dont want to appear as nagging, will ring them on thursday if i havent heard anything!
  • I have managed to find the number for my local club and im going to take the plunge and give them a call tonight :shock:

Hope i dont regret joining only 1 month after starting riding.
  • let us know how you get on....

might give others the encouragement to do so...!
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    bossman13, if you're doing 15 miles twice a day commuting you'll probably be fitter than the average club cyclist.

That used to be the length of my commute, one day I did the BHF London to Birmingham ride (135 miles + c15 mile cycl to start) on the back of this type of commute and didn't have any real problem.

In my club (london based) the slowest group is 15mph, average group speeds go from this up to about 23/24mph, so caters for a ride range.
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Spasypaddy I once had an email back from SouthgateCC - they seemed quite welcoming although they did point out that in the main their racing days were over and they tended to cater for slower sociable riders. I ended up joining WhitewebbsCC though and don't regret it (even if it's taken me a while to be able to keep up!).
    Still breathing.....
  • spasypaddy
    hambones - do you still ride with them? whats the plan for sunday? where is brookmans park?
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    I do indeed Spasypaddy - every Sunday (family permitting). I even ride to BP from the Abbey if I'm feeling energetic (a nice 10 mile warm-up!). Brookman's Park is just along the A1000 north of Potters Bar. Good bunch, mixed group and no-one gets left behind.
    Still breathing.....
  • I rang the club and had a good chat with the guy who runs the Sunday winter rides. He was very pleasant and said he would pass my details on to the secretary, so I could join. He said that they tend to ride 55-60 miles, at around 16-17 mph, and invited me to join them this Sunday morning.
    Now im wondering if I should go along, or wait a couple of weeks untill i can get somewhere near these distances. As I have only been out around 5 or 6 times since I got the bike and have not done anywhere near those distances. This is not necessaraly because I have been unable to do these distances, but I have just been sussing out good local routes.

How challenging is this distance at these sorts of speeds going to be for a 27yr old of average fitness levels (play football once a week and lift weights twice a week)?

I fully intend to join them, but just don’t want to try to fly before I can walk (or ride).

All advice appreciated.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    dogllabtoof, might be worth getting your riding upto the point you can handle 40 mile solo rides comfortably before you go along. 60 miles at 16-17mph is fairly standard for an easy club run, but this still equals 3+ hours in the saddle (which will probably be split halfway with a cafe stop anyway). If you can ride 40 miles (2.5 hours or so) solo, the extra distance will be no problem as you'll be drafting behind others most of the time which will make it much easier.

Whilst most clubs will happily wait for newbies on their first ride, it becomes a bit of a joke if you are totally out of your depth with being on the bike for that length of time.
  • popette
    Mog Uk wrote:
    popette wrote:

Popette, who are you looking to hook up with. I've been looking at clubs in the area and seem to be spolit for choice....

Hi Mog,
    Sorry, I didn't see that you'd asked me a ?.
    I'm going to give Seamons CC a try. They set off from Altrincham which is just about a mile from my house. They have half day rides, full days rides and a more informal group who decide on the day.
    There are quite a few clubs round our way aren't there? Would macclesfield be close to you? They must be sh!t hot with all those hills so close by.
    Px
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Hey Popette,

Funnily enough I work in Macclesfield, live in Davenport.

I've been looking at Manchester Wheelers, who meet just outside Didsbury & Stockport Clarion who meet in Hazel Grove.
    Macclesfield Wheelers look very good but there a bit of a trek for a Sunday rideout, plus I commute to Macc everyday via bike so want a break from that route :D

~Mog
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Mog Uk wrote:
    I've been looking at Manchester Wheelers, who meet just outside Didsbury ~Mog

me too :lol:
    think I might leave it untill the new year tho!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.