Malvern rides

peejay78
peejay78 Posts: 3,378
long shot: anyone riding in malvern tomorrow morning, earlyish, 7 or 8, or failing that, maybe sunday (weather permitting) or monday even?

the sevale club run is too late, and looks a bit slow... worcester too late, takes half the day...

Comments

• I hope you found a ride PJ.

This time last year I rode through Gt Malvern and on through that marvelous scenery to Ledbury where I'd planned to spend the night. I'm an impetuous fool and don't like booking B&B in advance - I like the choice of making last minute diversions...

So with temperatures dropping below freezing, into Ledbury I bowled at 4pm - dusk, looking for those B&B signs for the previous 4 miles and not seeing any. Never mind I knew where the Information centre is - in the middle near the tudor building on stilts. I locked up my pannier-laden Dawes Super Galaxy and smilingly entered the info office. The lady looked up and said - not hello stranger, cyclist obviously needing a bed for the night, but: "We're closed."
    Ever the optimist, I say: "The door sign says 'Open' and now I'm here can you point me at a B&B in the town - please?"
    The lady walked to the door, changed the sign to Closed and held the door open while saying: "There's no B&B in Ledbury open this time of year."
    What? I couldn't believe a touristy town like Ledbury had no B&B so I persisted.
    "There must be one, surely?"
    "There's one five miles out of town."
    "OK then, can I have their address?"
    "We're closed. Come back tomorrow."
    I laughed cos she must have been joking, right? No. Then another woman came in from the back office. But she talked out of her rear orifice too. No help.

So I tried the only pub I found that did B&B - no spare rooms. I found a house in the town that had a B&B sign - no one in. So I had to go to The Feathers Hotel. In my cycling gear among all the suits and posh frocks I asked for the cheapest room. £89. If it wasn't icy I would've snuggled under a hedge for the night. But as it was my birthday month, I treated myself. At least they kindly locked up my bike in a store room, and £89 bought me a fine ancient room on the top floor, big bath, TV ahhh. I phoned my wife - told her about the £89, and I'd never heard her go quiet for sooooo long.

There's a niche in the B&B market in Ledbury.

Geoff
  • Ledbury....what a place. Spent a weekend away there last year in a convrted barn with some friends, I am sure that none of the inhabitants are human. Even more odd than "the forest".....
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i went out on my own in the end, at 7am on saturday morning. it was beautiful and i had a lovely couple of hours in the saddle. i saw three other cyclists, which was a bit of a surprise. amazing cycling down that way, even if the locals do have webbed toes.

2039477559_ab8bf8a6a9.jpg
    2039459171_aa6d633750.jpg
  • I like ledbury! :D
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • I live in Hereford, Ledbury falls under Herefordshire Council, possibly the most inept, inefficient and badly run Council in the Country. Its also in the process of sacking up to 100 staff to pay for a massive ICT fraud perpetrated by one or more senior officers whilst Councillors looked away. The head of tourism was recently heard to say that she "hated cyclists". She has now been replaced. Presumably the helpful ladies you encountered were following her orders. I've yet to hear what the new official line on cycle tourists is.
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Ledbury was my destination/turn round point of my longest ever day ride back in 94...sadly all I had time for was a quick look at the Market House and a trip to the cash point before doing the 170 miles back home again.

My next visit was last year and I had my camera to take a pic of the Market House but sadly it must've been having some TLC as it was covered in scaffolding....but this year it was looking great.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Amazingly that Ledbury Market House was being raised. I can't remember why. My dad & stepmum now live in Ledbury but that doesn't solve my overnight stay problem cos it's only a tiny rented house. I believe Horizon is correct about the ineptitude of the council. My dad has already found oddities such as the library that won't buy my book! Tut tut.

I'll take my 2kg Vango tent next trip and camp on my dad's lawn. Either that or save the £90 for a luxurious stay at The Feathers again!

Geoff
  • The Market House was raised slightly to allow repairs to the base of the timber columns and the stone piers supporting them. It was then lowered back to its original position.
  • Rob Sallnow
    Horizon wrote:
    The Market House was raised slightly to allow repairs to the base of the timber columns and the stone piers supporting them. It was then lowered back to its original position.

And there was me thinking they'd over done it with the flood protection!! :lol:
  • Ledbury was my destination/turn round point of my longest ever day ride back in 94...sadly all I had time for was a quick look at the Market House and a trip to the cash point before doing the 170 miles back home again..

340 miles cycle in one day puts my max of 155 into the shade!

Was it on a June 21st?

I'm even slower these days...
  • Rob Sallnow
    Ledbury was my destination/turn round point of my longest ever day ride back in 94...sadly all I had time for was a quick look at the Market House and a trip to the cash point before doing the 170 miles back home again..

Was it on a June 21st?

*checks records*

June 11th
  • Ledbury was my destination/turn round point of my longest ever day ride back in 94...sadly all I had time for was a quick look at the Market House and a trip to the cash point before doing the 170 miles back home again..

Was it on a June 21st?

*checks records*

June 11th

Not even on the longest day of the year then! I'm impressed.
  • Rob Sallnow
    Ledbury was my destination/turn round point of my longest ever day ride back in 94...sadly all I had time for was a quick look at the Market House and a trip to the cash point before doing the 170 miles back home again..

Was it on a June 21st?

*checks records*

June 11th

Not even on the longest day of the year then! I'm impressed.

Oh I see what you mean...I thought you were implying you were there that day and you thought you might've seen me!! :lol: