Album of the year....

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
I know it's only mid way through November, but most releases are out now.

What's been your favourite?

Mine has got to be the current critics darling

Burial : Untrue

Wins it by a country mile for me.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is this released this year or bought this year?

as it is a hard choice.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • iainf72
    You can do both if you like.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Spose it depends on what your into , for me there has a been a few good albums this year from bands such as The Twang,The Enemy and The Wombats.

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    iainf72 wrote:
    I know it's only mid way through November, but most releases are out now.

What's been your favourite?

Mine has got to be the current critics darling

Burial : Untrue

Wins it by a country mile for me.

Just had a wee listen of that album Ian, it sounds like death. Not my taste im afraid.

cheers
    MG
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    yeh, I'm definitely old because I haven't the faintest idea of who you're talking about.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Arctic Monkeys "Favourite Worst Nightmare"
  • moray_gub
    Bronzie wrote:
    Arctic Monkeys "Favourite Worst Nightmare"

Yea not bad album that, takes a bit of listening to at first but it grows on you.

cheers
    MG
  • moray_gub
    popette wrote:
    yeh, I'm definitely old because I haven't the faintest idea of who you're talking about.

Thats the advantage of having teenage kids you can stay hip :-)

cheers
    MG
  • Messages by To My Boy. If you're a fan of SPlit Enz, Orchestral Manouveres in the Dark, Sparks, and The Damned (?) i'd recommend them.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • For me it was Grinderman - Grinderman, entertaining and very noisy.. Honourable mentions to Deerhoof and Shellac..

It was a hard job narrowing it down to just three..
  • iainf72
    popette wrote:

I'm the same age as you :P

Burial's album really needs to come out of decent speakers to do it justice (massive low end) but it won't be everyone cuppa, for sure.

Until that album came along A Place to Bury Strangers was my top choice (what's with the "bury" theme) That's more of a very very loud effected guitar in a MBV style record.
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    The Robert Plant & Alison Krauss CD that I've just bought seems pretty good on first listen.
  • The Klaxons one. Or Shiny Toy Guns.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Mark Ronson or Linkin Park.
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    For me it was Grinderman - Grinderman, entertaining and very noisy.. Honourable mentions to Deerhoof and Shellac..

It was a hard job narrowing it down to just three..

Grinderman was certainly outstanding, however, P J Harvey's White Chalk is a class above anything I've heard for some time (& her performance on Jools Holland last night was amazing).
    Bjork's Volta is certainly worth a mention as well.

For albums bought this year (but released earlier), I'd pick:
    The Drones-Wait Long By the River and the Bodies of Your Enemies Will Float By as a close second to:
    The Faint-Danse Macabre

Sons and Daughters may have a new album out soon, so I may need to edit my post at some point...
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    P J Harvey's White Chalk is a class above anything I've heard for some time (& her performance on Jools Holland last night was amazing).

I've always loved PJ Harvey stuff, but I'm not sure what to make of White Chalk. You're right about her performance on Jools - I think I preferred those versions to the CD versions, maybe I need to play it a few more times.
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    bryanm, yes, you need to play it a few more times, preferably with headphones (seriously, it works far better), in the dark, late at night when you're feeling a wee bit maudlin...
    It is a huge shift in sound, but not really greater than Songs from the City... to Uh Huh Her, you'll grow to love it & find you can't put anything else on without it sounding a bit poor. :?
    I liked the way she did different versions last night, not sure that I preferred them, but happy that they were different!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    I'll add my vote for P J Harvey's White Chalk.

I saw her live at the Royal Festival Hall in September and it was one of the best gigs I've ever been too. Utterly superb.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Good grief, I've just looked in my music collection and the only album from 2007 is In Rainbows by Radiohead. That is good though.

Albums I've discovered this year and liked a lot... Let it Die by Feist (Canadian female singer-songwriter, pretty mellow and chilled out) and Neon Golden by the Notwist (I guess you would call this "folktronica").

Come to think of it, I also got Neon Bible by the Arcade Fire and thought it was over-rated as hell. And I've heard a few songs from Battles, so their album is probably going on my xmas list.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Wait, wait, I remember another one! Kala by MIA came out this year and I've been listening to that quite a lot too.
  • Ash
    Twilight of the innocents
    And on the 7th day...............
    God created...........
    THE BIKE
  • iainf72
    afx237vi wrote:
    Come to think of it, I also got Neon Bible by the Arcade Fire and thought it was over-rated as hell. And I've heard a few songs from Battles, so their album is probably going on my xmas list.

You wil love the Battles album "Mirrored". It's future music for sure but it's absolutely genius. The Tonto+ EP is also cool and worth checking out.

AFX, methinks you'd like the Burial album assuming you can deal with the 2-step flavour to it.
  • Reverend and the Makers- The State of Things, well worth a listen. I went to see them in concert last month in Birmingham, they were fantastic! John McClue(the lead singer) came outside the venue after and busked for around 200 of us.

Also like The Hives latest offereing Black and White, and going to see them next week. :D
    Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift. That is why it is known as the present.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Colleen - "Les ondes silencieuses"

(sample) http://www.myspace.com/colleenmusique
  • Richrd2205 wrote:
    bryanm, yes, you need to play it a few more times, preferably with headphones (seriously, it works far better), in the dark, late at night when you're feeling a wee bit maudlin...
    It is a huge shift in sound, but not really greater than Songs from the City... to Uh Huh Her, you'll grow to love it & find you can't put anything else on without it sounding a bit poor. :?
    I liked the way she did different versions last night, not sure that I preferred them, but happy that they were different!

This year it dawned on me that the wonderful Polly Jean had overtaken The Clash as my fav musicians. I have and adore everything she's done. The first time I heard 50-foot queenie, that was it from me, it was love.
    But I just can't listen to White Chalk. I end up shouting at her to stop. I did however really enjoy the performance on Jools Holland's show. But she is the best live, her Hay-on-Wye show last year, was the best thing live I've ever seen.

Album of the year so far? May just be Eraser by Thom Yorke
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    For me it's Rilo Kiley's - Under the Blacklight... although off the back of that I bought some of the earlier stuff and if anything, it's even better...

Get a copy of 'The Execution of all Things' and your ears will love you.

Plus, I'm off to see them at Shepherd's Bush tonight!
  • I've no idea what you lot are talking about :shock:

I did get my son to download an album by the Style Council, can't remember what's its called, onto my fancy inod thingy :D
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    beckenham wrote:
    I've no idea what you lot are talking about :shock:

I did get my son to download an album by the Style Council, can't remember what's its called, onto my fancy inod thingy :D

thank god I'm not the only one. :D
    my musical tastes are regressing. I like listening to eighties crap.
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Likewise, didn't buy much in the way of new albums this year. Is it another symptom of getting older that you stop buying music? Anyway my choice is Unkle Dysfunctional by the Happy Mondays. Old band, new album and surprisingly good!
    I have pain!
  • popette wrote:
    beckenham wrote:
    I've no idea what you lot are talking about :shock:

thank god I'm not the only one. :D
    my musical tastes are regressing. I like listening to eighties crap.

80's crap :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

And exactly what is wrong with the Spice Girls latest single :?: :? :oops: :oops:
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements