Children in Need?

popette
popette Posts: 2,089
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
It's tonight isn't it? I'll donate but won't be watching - sorry but I just can't stand this night of telly. Does this make me heartless and evil? :evil:
I wonder if they would make more if we paid to keep it off our screens.
Sorry if this offends - I'm sure that many love it, just not me.

Comments

• bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    popette wrote:
    It's tonight isn't it? I'll donate but won't be watching - sorry but I just can't stand this night of telly. Does this make me heartless and evil? :evil:

I've already had enough dodging the 2 idiots stood on the main dual carriage way all week by where I work! The cynic in me says the cash they've collected has long since been spent on drink and drugs...
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    God awful night of tv ahead. Newreaders dancing around no doubt. All the BBC faces wheeled out to do some barely prepared live stint, lengthy pauses between links, Wogan trying to keep it all running. Go out whatever you do!
  • It's nights like these that make me glad that I'm TV-free!

Enjoy...

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • The wife got attacked by a bucket wielding teacher at the school this morning. It started a nice debate apparently when she said "Charity starts at home dear".
  • heavymental
    I better point out that I don't have anything against giving money to charity per se! Or people doing stuff for charity. I've no doubt the money people raise will make a real difference. Just that those tv shows do my nut in!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I better point out that I don't have anything against giving money to charity per se! Or people doing stuff for charity. I've no doubt the money people raise will make a real difference. Just that those tv shows do my nut in!

my sentiments exactly
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    popette wrote:

would be more heartless and evil to watch but not donate
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    The whole charity thing does my nut in! It's just one massive huge industry.

I was running a 10k race once, because I like running and like racing. There was a lady driving slowly alongside so as not to run any runners over who shouted across to me..... "what charity is this race in aid of?" I answered honestly "none, it's just a 10k race for the heck of racing".

She then sped off at high speed nearly running over about 5 runners ahead of me!

I think it's incidents like this that have made me think the way I do!
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Heh!

The worst bit is that you are pressurised to do daft crap at work, or at least stick money in someone's bloody bucket.

That said, I will be doing my best to catch the Fiona Bruce singing bit. :twisted:

Oh Fiona! *swoons*
  • Charities are corrupt. Give money DIRECTLY to those who need it. Scope paid nearly £100k for an Intranet (!) and have several expensive Microsoft volume licenses. Tell me that's charitable spending.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Charities are corrupt. Give money DIRECTLY to those who need it. Scope paid nearly £100k for an Intranet (!) and have several expensive Microsoft volume licenses. Tell me that's charitable spending.

I think charities are in the top 5 of IT spend by industry. All rounded off by a 20% pay rise for the chief exec and a brand new merc......

I'm saying all this and our parent company of the one I work for is a charity!! But they don't rattle tins, have direct debit donations, organise bike rides (aka holidays) to Peru or any of that. We are the charitys commercial arm and make money for the charity by making a profit in normal business manners, they then take a dividend once we make a profit and that finances their charity work.
  • I'd forgotten it was on. No one's mentioned it at work or at home. I'll be down the pub watching the pointless football match instead.
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Personally I have three charities which I give money, or more importantly time to.

I don't support Children in Need as I don't want someone else o decide which charity deserves or doesn't deserve my money.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Let 'em stay in bloody need.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • My son was expected to participate in a children In need fundraising event at school, in fact some of the staff told him that he had to do so . He told them to stuff it ! (probably literally) and said that he was there to be educated and asked about his entitlement to 25 hours per week teaching time. He also asked what they would do if he didn't participate. When the time came, despite the pressure , he steadfastedly studied his work and refused to kowtow to the charity despots who tried to guilt trip him but wouldn't give of their own time, just their teaching time for which they are paid for.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • heavymental
    What a geek. In my day any excuse to fck about was grasped keenly.