Beacon Snowdrop Audaxes, 2nd February 2008

BeaconRuth
BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
Entries are now open for this gentle winter leg-stretcher around rural Worcestershire. All details and online entries here:

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/express/

- Quiet, scenic, easy routes, both 113km
- Ample free parking at HQ
- Good control cafes
- Plenty of free food on completion
- Just £4 to enter

See you there!

Ruth

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I'm a bit too far away to consider coming down for 113k. :cry: I'm curious though, why 2 rides, in opposite directions, on the same day?

Good site BTW, the downloadable GPS info would be handy for those that use it. I might have a think about the Cotswold Expedition Audax in June though. I've been thinking about going abroad for a few audaxes. :twisted:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • BeaconRuth
    Mainly to ease congestion at the controls, Crapaud. 200 riders setting off together, arriving at a cafe 40km away would stretch the capabiities of many cafe owners! Also, people can come back a second year and do the ride in the opposite direction, should they so wish.

I'm glad you like the website. Get your entry in for the June Audax in good time - it tends to fill up as it's so popular.

Ruth
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Mainly to ease congestion at the controls, Crapaud. 200 riders setting off together, arriving at a cafe 40km away would stretch the capabiities of many cafe owners! Also, people can come back a second year and do the ride in the opposite direction, should they so wish.

I'm glad you like the website. Get your entry in for the June Audax in good time - it tends to fill up as it's so popular.

Ruth
    Good point! It always amuses me seeing the wide eyed look of panic when a hoard of badly dressed lycra clad loonies turn up, unannounced, demanding cake. :) Not that there's much left by the time I make an appearance.

I'll have a look around to see what else's on in your neck of the woods - might make a week or 2 out of it.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • I see that there is online entry as well! Talk about taking audax at of the dark ages. :) Also pleased to note that your online entry system removes the responsibility of the entrant to supply the usual bother of SAE envelopes.

I have participated on the Beacon's audaxes before and to be quite honest, I think they are just as good cyclosport events (minus the waymarking but then it would not be an audax).

Looking forward to it.
  • BeaconRuth
    dead sheep wrote:
    I see that there is online entry as well! Talk about taking audax at of the dark ages. :) Also pleased to note that your online entry system removes the responsibility of the entrant to supply the usual bother of SAE envelopes.
    We have a very very good webmaster and he's worked really hard with the two Audax organisers to get the online entry system sorted. We believe our club is the first to offer online entry for an Audax. :D
    I have participated on the Beacon's audaxes before and to be quite honest, I think they are just as good cyclosport events (minus the waymarking but then it would not be an audax).

Looking forward to it.
    Glad you've enjoyed them, Dead Sheep. This one should be a cracking good winter ride.

Ruth
  • pedalrog
    pedalrog Posts: 633
    Yes, excellent on-line entry system. Congratulations Beacon! Let's hope other audax organisers get up-to-date and follow your shining example.
  • dave5n
    dave5n Posts: 3,307
    This is a cracking event. The service in the cafe at the end is phenomenal, too. Never seen a a cafe move so fast.

Out of interest Ruth, has the date moved forward a couple of weeks? Because it (sort of) clashes with the 'cross now.

I'd like to do it but the WMCCL last race is the next day. And I'm not sure I am fit enough to consider 113K a pre-race warm-up!
  • BeaconRuth
    It's actually been moved back to its original weekend after moving forward last year because the HQ cafe owner was away. The Hartlebury cafe is rather critical to the event so we had no choice but to move it last year. However, on that weekend it clashed with the Wyre Forest CRC reliability ride on the Sunday.......... unfortunately, it's all too true that you can't please everyone all the time. :(

Anyway, 113km the day before some 'cross.......... just the ticket if you're building up for a good summer season. :wink:

Ruth
  • dave5n
    dave5n Posts: 3,307
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    It's actually been moved back to its original weekend after moving forward last year because the HQ cafe owner was away. The Hartlebury cafe is rather critical to the event so we had no choice but to move it last year. However, on that weekend it clashed with the Wyre Forest CRC reliability ride on the Sunday.......... unfortunately, it's all too true that you can't please everyone all the time. :(

Anyway, 113km the day before some 'cross.......... just the ticket if you're building up for a good summer season. :wink:

Ruth

Hmmm

I'll think about it...

Thanks for the explanation Ruth, and I do appreciate that there probably isn't a lot of crossover anyway.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    OK booked. Will be my first official Audax...hope the weather is kind
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • BeaconRuth
    Which way what?

Ruth

ps. were you drunk, Steve? You posted this in the middle of the night and elsewhere you've shown the complete solution for the integral of a trigonometric function.......... did you do it in a drunken stupor? :wink:
  • Possibly......I cant remember :roll:

I meant which is the best route?

The solution to xcosx was for Chris's benefit whose explanation I felt was a little brief....
  • BeaconRuth
    Possibly......I cant remember :roll:

I meant which is the best route?
    They're very similar routes in terms of terrain and scenery - which isn't surprising as they are the same route in opposite directions! There are no big hills in either direction. TBH I'd just go for the one with the preferable start time - 8.30am or 9.00am. I'll probably enter the 8.30am one.
    The solution to xcosx was for Chris's benefit whose explanation I felt was a little brief....
    Yes - very impressive. :D

Ruth
  • Just entered. Paypal makes it nice and simple too, thanks.
  • Philip Whiteman
    Philip Whiteman Posts: 470
    edited January 2008
    Well I have entered. I hear on the grapevine that this popular audax is filling fast. Better hurry along folks.
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    Well I have entered. I hear on the grapevine that this popular audax is filling fast. Better hurry along folks.

Talk about a blatant plug or what...... :wink:
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Are Snow mobiles allowed under Audax Uk rules ? :wink: