lewis hamilton

stevechambers34
stevechambers34 Posts: 458
edited November 2007 in Campaign
A few weeks ago it was widely announced that Mr Hamilton was leaving 'Britain' due to being fed up with all the attention he was getting and no longer being able to lead a 'normal' life...being a somewhat cynical soul I guessed it was more likely my pet hate TAX EVASION legal or not, if this is correct and I suspect it may be then good riddance to him and all his ilk who proclaim there love for Britain then pis* off abroad to avoid paying their just share of tax.
being a reformed stuntdrinker allows pontification

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    someone sounds rather jealous
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • I'm not sure about jealousy, for me it is summed up by one of my favourite sayings:

'Don't piss down my back and then tell me it's raining'
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • Good for him.

If I was in his position I'd do exactly the same.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • Good for him.

I agree, but to tell us it is about wanting to spend more time with his family and because of the pressures of fame, is insulting our intelligence a little. That is what sticks in my throat a bit.
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • spen666
    Salsiccia wrote:
    Good for him.

I agree, but to tell us it is about wanting to spend more time with his family and because of the pressures of fame, is insulting our intelligence a little. That is what sticks in my throat a bit.

I concurr

He'd have got far more respect if he had come out and said he wanted to avoid paying tax

Twittering @spen_666
  • I think what he said (correct me if I am wrong) is that he still wanted to leave due to privacy issues, but he had also been advised that it would be beneficial for tax reasons to leave also.

Believe him or not, he probably doesn't care.

By the way, tax avoidance (legal) and tax evasion (illegal) are two very different things, ask Lestor Piggot!

The OP does sound jealous IMHO.
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    A few weeks ago it was widely announced that Mr Hamilton was leaving 'Britain' due to being fed up with all the attention he was getting and no longer being able to lead a 'normal' life...being a somewhat cynical soul I guessed it was more likely my pet hate TAX EVASION legal or not, if this is correct and I suspect it may be then good riddance to him and all his ilk who proclaim there love for Britain then pis* off abroad to avoid paying their just share of tax.

Keep up! He admitted on the Parky show last week!
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Lewis complains about never being able to go out without a load of hassle and wanting more privacy as reasons for going to live in switzerland, and why not.He would have been far better off just being honest and saying a big thank you to all of my British fans but i am off to live in Switzerland because i will pay less tax and if i do stop at a service station for a shit nobody will ask for my autograph, Yeh maybe the truth hurts.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • When my accountant does my books, he looks at every way possible to save me paying tax. That's what I pay him for.

If I was earning what Lewis is earning he would most certainly advise me to leave the country. And why not?

Should I, because of my hard work and sucess, be made to carry the rest of society? Particularly the jobshy, soap opera watching unwashed.
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    I bet Damon didn't get this hassle when he moved from S London to Eire.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    edited November 2007
    I don't care why he is moving, or what he said about moving; his life, his money, his choice.

Jensen lives in Monaco, DC lives in Monaco, even Mansell lived in the IoM - never heard any complaints about them.

Obviously Lewis is the biggest hope to hit the British F1 scene for years, and as such he gets incredible hype in the media, and we know the British media like nothing better than to build someone up just so they can knock them down. Lewis will be prepared for this and will develop an appropriately thick skin, aided of course by the huge income he can command.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Clark moved to France
    Stewart to Switzerland (I think)

Did Hill Snr, Hunt, Hawthorn, Surtese, Hailwood ever move anywhere else?
    Don't think Foggerty did, Geof Duke is Manx anyhow. they all have the advantage that their job allows them to base themselves anywhere in the world and get paid $#!t loads in the process.

Hamilton's odd accent likely comes from the PR people who have turned Paul Di Resta from speaking pure Bathgate Scots to something intelligible to the People of the South of England.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • thought I'd better reply, Jealous possibly, but I still think it is rich how we are 'made' to look up to and admire these celebrity types, I mean what have they really done? I would have had far more respect for him and his ilk if they just told the sodding truth. I am aware of the difference between tax evasion and avoidance legal or otherwise but I believe it's morally wrong to avoid paying taxes when 'everyone' else pays theirs.
    People and the media are always whingeing about the 'workshy' etc but rarely seem to mention the many who purposely avoid paying tax legal or otherwise , doesn't matter what anyone says avoiding paying your tax is WRONG and that includes claiming for anything on the compant account it is WRONG and ALL the loopholes should be closed.
    The reason there are unemployed is because of greedy people seeking greater and greater profit both personal and business wise, by getting things made abroad etc they have caused the loss of most if not all of our old industries, which is why so many would be apprentices are unemployed and free to watch daytime TV
  • alfablue
    thought I'd better reply, Jealous possibly, but I still think it is rich how we are 'made' to look up to and admire these celebrity types

No one "makes" you look up to them, you have your own free will.
  • alfablue
    thought I'd better reply, Jealous possibly, but I still think it is rich how we are 'made' to look up to and admire these celebrity types, I mean what have they really done? I would have had far more respect for him and his ilk if they just told the sodding truth. I am aware of the difference between tax evasion and avoidance legal or otherwise but I believe it's morally wrong to avoid paying taxes when 'everyone' else pays theirs.
    People and the media are always whingeing about the 'workshy' etc but rarely seem to mention the many who purposely avoid paying tax legal or otherwise , doesn't matter what anyone says avoiding paying your tax is WRONG and that includes claiming for anything on the compant account it is WRONG and ALL the loopholes should be closed.
    The reason there are unemployed is because of greedy people seeking greater and greater profit both personal and business wise, by getting things made abroad etc they have caused the loss of most if not all of our old industries, which is why so many would be apprentices are unemployed and free to watch daytime TV

I do agree with your views on the morality of paying taxes - I think taxes are good! But then I also believe in freedom of movement and the right to abode anywhere (that will have you).
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I have spent all my life avoiding tax, as a self employed person. I avoid the tax the government tells me I don't have to pay, and I do this by arranging my finances in such a way as to take advantage of any loopholes which allow me to do this. loopholes which the government have deliberately written into the legislation, by the way, so no guilt on my part. I would do exactly the same if I was Lewis Hamilton.

Why is everybody's ire always reserved for sporrtsmen when it comes to earnings? They are in general good role models for youngsters, unlike many multi millionaire rock stars who take all the same measures to avoid tax while often encouraging kids to think that taking drugs and ruining their own and their families lives is a cool thing to do. nobody ever bangs on about how overpaid they think they are.
  • If you know the difference betweeen tax avoidance and tax evasion, why do you continue to demonstrate that you feel it is some sort of shady bending of the rules and exploitation of loopholes.

tax avoidance is something that all self employed people do as part of their daily businesss, it is normal and it is expected. And as smoking Joe has stated, the loopholes are deliberately placed there by the government.

In fact, they are not loopholes. They are strategically designed rules that are put in place to ensure that the self employed pay the correct amounts of tax to stay legal.

Overall, these people (highly paid celebs and sportsmen) probably contribute significantly more to the governments coffers than the man on the street.

I follow this "loophole" - I don't come to the UK for more than 90 days per year to avoid paying UK tax. Am I wrong? No - I am absolutely correct as I pay all of my tax locally.

I am using the rules set in place to avoid paying tax which I am not due to pay. The fact that some of these guys choose to live in tax havens further enhances the take home pay from their earnings, but that is their choice.

I really don't see the problem.
  • the problem is he didn't tell the truth (at first) , regarding self employed people all power to their elbow when they follow the rules...during the early mid 90's I worked in engineering all over the country installing and maintaining hyraulic power equipment to the steel and mining industries as well as various other factories, the 'in thing' then was to go '715' ( I think it was) I am talking about employees of larger firms who worked on sites most of the time and stayed with that one firm all the time ,the dodges they pulled would make you shudder, wife as secretary, spare room as an office ,tools bought on tool allowances sold cheaply for more cash, 'vans' bought and used as family transport , entertaining clients including golf membership,etc, etc...things may have changed since I guess but 'cooking the books' doesn't come from nowhere.
    I was earning £ 600+ take home then , I stayed as an employee and paid extra tax I didn't like it but I viewed it as just and proper, I would do the same now, it's a shame other people don't do the same instead of avoiding tax legal or not and then bleating about how bad the country is when they don't pay their full dues to support it.
    As to sportspeople I have no problem with them they 'entertain' apart from Premiership footballers who ARE vastly overpaid ! IMHO.And yes many of them DO provide good role models.
    Many top business men etc pay around 2% tax how is this justifiable?
    I there's no guilt then there's nothing to defend is there?
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    "He didn't tell the truth"!

Who was he being interviewed by, MI5? It was only thr friggin' gutter press, and if someone want's to tell them a fib it is not a hanging offence. The government do it all the time.
  • spen666
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    "He didn't tell the truth"!

Who was he being interviewed by, MI5? It was only thr friggin' gutter press, and if someone want's to tell them a fib it is not a hanging offence. The government do it all the time.

no its not a hanging offence- but it is a valid reason for people to dislike him or to not respect him

Twittering @spen_666
  • actualy it was a major news story on most if not all TV networks and also many tabloid and broadsheet 'news'papers. I have no axe to grind with Hamilton per se just sort out your blo*dy agents and tell the truth or else you'll get found out as he was then 'coughed' for it on Parky.
    I agree regarding pop stars and celebrities, perhaps the real problem is the media who 'make' vulnerable people especially the young look up to them by over saturation of 'news' with stories about celebrity and stardom , which any parent can tell you does impact on childrens views on life and behaviour.
    As a footnote didn't Phil Collins say he would leave the country if (new)labour ever got in? did he go?
  • Burton
    Burton Posts: 172
    Any reason why he should pay tax, if he's living abroad.
    As someone has pointed out, his money, his life, let him lead it.
    Are any of you really that bothered by what some sportsman does with his life? If so I suggest you go out and get a life of your own.....
  • spen666
    Burton wrote:
    Any reason why he should pay tax, if he's living abroad.
    As someone has pointed out, his money, his life, let him lead it.
    Are any of you really that bothered by what some sportsman does with his life? If so I suggest you go out and get a life of your own.....

Hmm and without the public interest &/or support he wouldn't earn anything would he?

Twittering @spen_666
  • Burton
    Burton Posts: 172
    Public interset in the sport and the sportsman, I have no interest in what he does with his life when he not in an F1 car.
    It's this sort of crap that perpetuates rubbish like "I'm a non entitity get me out of here" and big brother.
    Whatever happened to this proper entertainment?
  • thought I'd better reply, Jealous possibly, but I still think it is rich how we are 'made' to look up to and admire these celebrity types, I mean what have they really done? I would have had far more respect for him and his ilk if they just told the sodding truth. I am aware of the difference between tax evasion and avoidance legal or otherwise but I believe it's morally wrong to avoid paying taxes when 'everyone' else pays theirs.

get over yourself mate. Who makes you look up to these people? no one.

This guy has come from nowhere and is doing well for himself, winning Formula 1 races and having a bit of fun along the way. And so what if he wants to go to another country to avoid paying a bit of tax,

I managed to avoid not paying anytax for about sixteen years. Good on him and I hope he wins and makes so much money and does'nt have to be a whinger like you. :wink:
  • As a footnote didn't Phil Collins say he would leave the country if (new)labour ever got in? did he go?

i think he lives in Switzerland.
  • No one makes me look up to any sportspeople including tdf cyclists or other, the point is young people DO look up to whoever gets most press/fame and emulate them...wouldn't it be great if every body did the I'm alright Jack and didn't pay tax? how would the country be financed then? perhaps it's just alright for some to avoid tax?
    Hamilton hardly came from nowhere his father owned his own computer company and he went to a 'faith' school, I am not decrying what he has achieved.
    none payement of taxes can and does have massive impacts if you look deeper...why do you think smoking has been banned in public? because many people don't like it? NO ,it's because now many people have stopped and much of the tobacco still consumed is 'smuggled' in various ways which means increased customs costs catching the culprits and now the taxes gained by the Government are NOT enough to finance the cost of customs, and the huge cost of treating smoking related illness and disease... so it's better in the long run to cajoal people in to stopping by any and various means.In short it now costs more to treat people who smoke than they pay in tax.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    What's the difference between Lewis Hamilton and the England football team?

Lewis has still got a Mclaren!

:lol::lol::lol:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• No one makes me look up to any sportspeople including tdf cyclists or other, the point is young people DO look up to whoever gets most press/fame and emulate them...wouldn't it be great if every body did the I'm alright Jack and didn't pay tax? how would the country be financed then? perhaps it's just alright for some to avoid tax?

Its alright for everyone to avoid tax. Thats what I pay my accountant to do.

I managed sixteen years of non payment of tax but that has changed due to a change in circumstances.

I dont think your country will fall apart if Hamilton decides to go on a "tax" holiday because the poor will always be paying propertionatly more than those who are better off and will continue to support your countrys economic needs.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    spen666 wrote:
    Salsiccia wrote:
    Good for him.

I concurr

He'd have got far more respect if he had come out and said he wanted to avoid paying tax

More respect from who? Certainly not me.
    Soon as he gets a bit of money off he goes.
    Why does he think he is any different to the rest of us who have to pay taxes.
    Ok if he goes I suggest the greedy fxxker stays and if he did return I would clober him with a big bill.
    If they did this then these greedy fxxkers would not leave in the first place and would have to contribute the same way as the rest of us.