Tyres

Bluestoesonnose
Bluestoesonnose Posts: 372
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
Hi, I'm starting to get a few punctures and had a 5 mile walk home last night after getting two flats in one ride. I notice that the rear tyre of my Specialized Allez seems to have worn thin and I am assuning this is part of the problem.

The thing is I notice that there are now so called puncture resitant tyres availible, I'm not too interested in tyre weight I just want to get out and ride and put a few miles on the bike and keep the weight off me over the winter so what are the best options for a good road training tyre?

Cheers
This is why!

Comments

• Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    Michellin Pro Race2's are on both my best and winter bikes, no punctures for over a year, many 1000's miles clocked up, low rolling resistance and have a built in puncture resistant lining

That me now stuffed for the way home now tonight after saying that!
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    When you've decided on which new tyres to buy, consider investing in a small pump, set of good tyre levers and a puncture repair kit. 5 miles is a long way to push a bike...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Even more importantly, how do you know your tyres are inflated to optimum pressure - correctly inflated tyres roll better and are less likely to puncture. Likewise, leaving home with a pump and a spare tube is a neccessity.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Hi, I'll get a tyre over the weekend and see how it goes.

I've got levers, had a spare tube and mini pump with gas and everything for one puncture to be taken care of, just the second puncture did me as I didn't have a repair kit, to be honest its the first time I have had a double puncture.

Thats why i suspect the tyre is part of the equation by being so thin due to wear.
    This is why!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Even more importantly, how do you know your tyres are inflated to optimum pressure.
    That's a very good point - a decent track (aka floor) pump with a pressure gauge is an invaluable tool for any cyclist, especially when using narrow road tyres that are prone to pinch punctures if run at too low a pressure.

Most bike mounted pumps (especially the ubiquitous "mini" pumps) are pretty poor at actually inflating a road tyre to the correct pressure.
  • Got a track pump at home though god only knows how good the pressure guage is on it.

Just like to point out that I'm not an inexperianced cyclist I've been mountain biking for about 20 years, just this is the first road bike I've ever owned.
    This is why!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Problem is, to make a tyre more puncture resistant, manufacturers use harder compound rubber which tends to make the tyres less grippy eg Specialized Armadillos are very puncture resistant, but are pretty poor on wet roads. Michelin Krylions usually seem to come up on here as the best of both worlds compromise.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The only way to go is to take a pump (or multiple C)2 cyclinders if you use them), a tube and a repair kit. If you get one puncture you will often get a second on the same ride because the cause may still be embedded in the tyre (it is sometimes difficult to find the culprit, particularly if raining / dark). I am surprised you have not ever had double punctures MTB'ing - you've been lucky, I have had far more punctures off-road (softer tyres, thorns). I haven't had a puncture on the road in 4000 miles (apart from a valve coming away from the tube), but I always go fully equipped for one (guess I'll get one tonight, now I've said that). I use Specialized All Conditions Pro's inflated to 110 psi.