Rollers

Max_Man
Max_Man Posts: 185
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
I have just set up my new rollers (tacx ecotrack), they went together nice and easy......but I am really struggling to use them, I am absolutely useless on them... :oops:

Any tips???

Comments

• Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Put them between a door frame to start with, least that way you have something to support you.. It does get easier with practice.....

Oh and don't touch anything metal when you stop, I made the mistake of putting my hands on a filing cabinet in the garage, nothing like a static shock to wake you up.....
  • Make sure the distance from front to back of the rollers matches the wheelbase of your bike. Front wheel should be right on top of front roller, not behind or in front of centre. That can help stability.

Use heavier wheels, that can help.

Put the rollers in a doorway between a door jam so you can use that on either side to help or next to a railing of some sort that you can grab with some force if you need (i.e. don't use a piece of furniture than can topple over). Sometime a step or box to help alight the bike might be helpful.

Hang on using one hand on the support to keep balance and start pedalling. As your speed increases, so does your stability. Faster the better. Gradually lighten your grip on the support while pedalling and eventually begin to release your grip all together.

Practice!

After a while it'll become second nature.
  • Max_Man
    Thanks guys, just watched the rollers videos on youtube, I think I did ok compared to some... :D

Will give it another try later.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Have patience - it took me a while to get the hang of it.

Hold the bars in the centre on the tops (nearest the stem) - if you are on the drops any movement of your arm is acentuated through the steering.

Don't look down at the front wheel - best to look up and ahead at a fixed spot on the garage wall for instance.

The faster the wheels spin, the more inertia and centrifugal force will be generated to help keep you upright.

Don't use in the kitchen on the best lino until you get the hang of them! :oops:
  • Max_Man
    I think I have cracked it, just set them up in the garage, next to a wall with a sturdy set of step ladders on the other side. After a couple of attempts I got in a good 10 minutes without any stops. One thing that is essential is the tyres are up to proper pressures, my first few attemps my tyres were quite low.

I think it's going to be a sweat machine, only on it for about 20 minutes total and I'm drenched. Should be good for the fitness though... 8)
  • Nice work!

Get a really strong fan to keep a bit cooler, that will help you train longer/harder.
  • Yep, nice one practice is the only way to get used to it. I dont know if you have tried clipping in on them yet, but the first time I twitched clipped in it nearly ended up in disaster. :lol:
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Well done. Just a word of warning, you may get electric shocks due to static build up. Bizarre but true. I use a car jump start cable to earth my bike which seems to have fixed the problem.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Great to hear someone on rollers rather than those turbo things. One good thing about rollers is you get to ride your good summer bike all year round.
    As a cool down I try to ride as slowley as possible I'm down to 3mph with hands and 8 without, I know there are those who can go a lot slower, it's hard to do but it really improves your balance.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • I've been thinking about getting some rollers. This is probably a stupid question, but do they give you a sufficient workout? Can you limit their rotation or do you just peddle with a really high cadence to get the heart pumping? What with the weather and my wife just about to give birth, I've hardly been out this month.

Thanks for any replies to my naive questions :D

FCN : 4
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    benvickery wrote:
    ... but do they give you a sufficient workout? Can you limit their rotation or do you just peddle with a really high cadence to get the heart pumping?
    To avoid cross-posting... http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12550321
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Max_Man
    Not clipped in on them yet, I'll get a bit more practice in first. As for shocks..tell me about it..I use a metal garage door to balance against to start, did a good 20 minutes then leant back on the door..... :shock: :shock: ....shock of my life.. :D . Might have to run the earth cable as mentioned.

I have tried the slow down spin at the end, it is hard, bike becomes very unstable.

I have the Tacx Ecotrack and I don't know if it is the small rollers or new (tight) band but there is more resistance than I thought. Seems as soon as I stop pedalling the wheels soon come to a stop.
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    Here's a bit of good news for roller newbies - I got mine last Christmas, so I've just started using them for the second season as it were.

And the good news is the extra balance skills you need to ride them get permanently embedded when you first master them. There's been no problem at all this time, just jump on and go.

So, don't worry if its a bit of a hassle, it's worthwhile.
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    Max_Man wrote:
    Not clipped in on them yet, I'll get a bit more practice in first. As for shocks..tell me about it..I use a metal garage door to balance against to start, did a good 20 minutes then leant back on the door..... :shock: :shock: ....shock of my life.. :D . Might have to run the earth cable as mentioned.

I have tried the slow down spin at the end, it is hard, bike becomes very unstable.

I have the Tacx Ecotrack and I don't know if it is the small rollers or new (tight) band but there is more resistance than I thought. Seems as soon as I stop pedalling the wheels soon come to a stop.

I have the elite parabolic and there was also more resistance than I was expecting when they were new. I'm going nearly 50% faster for the same effort now - so either they've loosened up on the more relaxed posture now has got me back to normal efficiency