Shimano 10 speed cassette

markmw
markmw Posts: 131
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
OK so I bought an ultegra 10s cassette off eBay (I know, I know), and was initially a bit phased when I just got a zip bag of parts. But I assume that this is OEM stuff so I don't have a huge problem with that, and all the components are there that I'd expect (except perhaps the lockring removal tool - should this have been there?)

However, none of the rings themselves indicate they are shimano or ultegra. At worst I'd expect the part-code to be stamped on the rings. The only thing which indicated shimano is the lockring.

Is this the norm, or should be I making a complaint?

Cheers

Comments

• IIRC each cog only has a number on it (the number of teeth on that cog) and may not have "Shimano" or the part code on it e.g. 6200. The lock ring should have the product code though.
    Every winner has scars.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I think that's normal, although usually when people sell cassettes the cogs and spacers are temporarily fixed together with something just so you know what order they go in! As far as I remember (it's difficult to check when on the bike) my shimano ultegra cassette just has the number of teeth stamped on the cogs themselves and nothing else. You wouldn't expect to get the lockring tool with the cassette, but you'll need to get one to properly lighten the lockring when you put it on. You'll also need a chain whip if you ever want to take it off again! I think with ultegra both the lockring and the spacers should be metal, not plastic, and as you say it should say shimano and some other stuff on the outside of the lockring, including a part number (CS-6600?) you can check if you are really worried. Make sure you get all the things in the right order when you put them on, that everything is properly "seated" and that there is a consistent gap between all the cogs. Depending on your hub you might also need one or more spacers between the hub and cassette. You can download the appropriate technical document from the shimano website with an exploded diagram of all the parts - that should solve any worries you have!
  • markmw
    neeb wrote:
    You can download the appropriate technical document from the shimano website with an exploded diagram of all the parts - that should solve any worries you have!
    Thanks. I did that to check I had everything. There might be a spacer missing but I can use the one on the existing cassette I guess. The spacers (4 of them are plastic though. Should I be overly concerned about that?
  • neeb
    Hmmm...

I'm pretty sure that all the removable spacers between the cogs on my Ultegra 9sp 12-25 are alloy, but I'll check later on. I thought plastic spacers were only found on the lower-end cassettes, but I could be wrong. Maybe you should ask some questions of the seller after all.

One thing you could do if you have some decent kitchen scales is weight the whole cassette and check it is +/- the right weight (try the weight weenies website to get the weight for the particular cassette you think you have, i.e. same part number as on the lockring and same number and range of sprockets).
  • neeb
    Of course you have 10sp and I have 9sp, so maybe there are plastic spacers on the 10sp.
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    my 10sp cassettes have plastic spacers. Only the 5 inside cogs are fixed together, all the rest are loose, and no identification marks. I bought genuine shimano so know what I have, the only thing that identifies the model is the lockring, 5600,6600,7600 (105/ultegra/dura-ace)
  • markmw
    Cheers - thanks for the repsonses.
    My only vague concern is that perhaps you can substitute other cogs (eg 105) to go with an Ultegra lock ring. I guess I won't worry about it.
    Interesting the 5 inside cogs are joined. The spec doesn't indicate this is a normal option (I've got 12-27T).
    http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/techd ... 608752.pdf
  • I have the same cassette Ultegra 12-27 and a quick look last night saw that I too have the 4 or 5 plactic spacers and the lock ring says CS-6600. The upper cogs 1st, 2nd, 3rd doesn't have teeth numbers but C1, C2, C3. As I said I just has a quick look so I may have just missed them. Like you if I buy Ultegra I want it written on it like the chainset, breaks and pedals.
    Every winner has scars.
  • markmw
    I'm just the suspicious type that wonders if some bike manufacturers get away with putting lower grade cogs together with a flashier lock-ring. Either way, no id marking seems the norm and I think getting the cake scales out might be getting overly paranoid! Cheers.
  • neeb
    I think someone would notice if they did that, and the manufacturer would get a very bad reputation... More likely is that someone on ebay could get a Dura Ace cassette and a Tiagra one, swap the lockrings around, sell the Tiagra with DA lockring as DA, and the DA with Tiagra lockring as "100% Dura Ace cassette, missing lockring. Supplied with a spare Tiagra lockring I had lying around"....