brooks saddles up by 50%?

inaperfectworld
inaperfectworld Posts: 219
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
i orderd a standard brooks b17 narrow from e'burgh bike shop, supporting local shop etc. i thought the one i bought a year ago was about £40, but thought my memory must have been fuzzy when i was charged £59.99 and thought no more about it. surprised then to find in the xmas catalogue from e'burgh shop that a brooks b17 special at £36.95. i have queried it with them stressing that it is a standard b17 narrow them and they assure me this is the price and that a change of supplier has been responsible for a rise in price. doesn't explain the catalogue price tho' and a 50% price rise in a year is asking a lot from purchasers. i don't feel that they are ripping me off but i feel somebody's got things wrong somewhere. any opinions? ta

Comments

• JonBurns
    JonBurns Posts: 212
    Sounds very iffy to me. I bought a B17 narrow last month and it was about £38. I know the tied narrow is £59.99 but I've just had a look around and their defo still going for £38. I bought mine from spa cycles, but there's loads of places selling them.
  • just to update this thread so none is put ebs: i wrote to the edinburgh bike shop manager requesting further investigation and he rang me back immediately to say that the price had been inputted wrongly into their central computer and the standard b17 narrow was priced as the lace tensioned saddle; a cheque for the price difference was being sent to me. fair enough
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    just to update this thread so none is put ebs: i wrote to the edinburgh bike shop manager requesting further investigation and he rang me back immediately to say that the price had been inputted wrongly into their central computer and the standard b17 narrow was priced as the lace tensioned saddle; a cheque for the price difference was being sent to me. fair enough

CRC dropped the price on the B17 special by £2 to £32.99 - a really beautiful saddle really.

Rick
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Brooks have done a Witcomb put prices up by around 50% on their website

Standard B17 is now £59.10 :shock:

http://www.brooksengland.com/shop/shopProductDetail.aspx?id=uid-20070521.173730.671.8750-6-00145E457A63

If you're considering buying a Brooks saddle I'd get one now, before everyone else follows suit.