Schwalbe Marathon Plus

2»

Comments

• Though i very very rarely puncture with M pluses, I always carry a spare tube. Metal tyre levers are vital but with these they are as easy to change as any other tyre.
    Dan
  • I reckon there's an anti-bike squad that go around throwing glass on cycle tracks...grrrrr.

R
  • Try marathon plus with slime tyre liners< heavy but virtually bullet proof!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    LOL - if these don't solve the problem, i'm going for solid tyres next.

http://www.greentyre.com/
    GUARANTEED puncture proof.
  • Tariq
    Tariq Posts: 55
    Bought a brand new pair of Marathon Plus tyres for £22 (inc postage) from Ebay!

They were straightforward to fit, taking about 40 mins (both) and I have not noticed any speed drop over previous (lightweight) tyres.

I will settle for one puncture every 2000 miles, my current rate has been about one every 600 miles.
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Time for another update:-
    I got another puncture the week before last and finally got round to checking it out last night. Again i cannot blame the tyre since the result was a split about 1.5cm long across the tyre which had just gone through deep enough to nick the tube. I don't know the cause, i was in an unlit alley way at the time. The tyre has been superglued to hopefully seal this split as i really don't want to buy another one after such a short time.

Tyre (it was the rear again) was a pig to get off, but managed it eventually and i seem to have got the hang of putting it back on. Based on a discussion in another thread, I am going to try running a slightly lower pressure (100psi) to see if this gives the tyre a bit more chance to absorb machetes or whatever i am riding over!
  • redjedi
    redjedi Posts: 44
    I've just received my M+ today and fitted this lunchtime. It took me ages to get them fitted, but hopefully the last time I need to change them for a while.

And they really are heavy. Couldn't believe it when I lifted my bike back over, but a small price to pay for a worry free commute.

(touch wood, fingers crossed etc.)
  • I have 700x23 and haev had a spate of punctures in the past fornight. would a 700X25 fit as the marthon plus only seems to go down to 700x25. If not any recommendations on for puncture protection.
    Simon
  • Andy140
    Andy140 Posts: 130
    Received and fitted my 700x28 M+ over Xmas - one went on very easy the other was a bit of a pig, how do you explain that, same size etc. Anyway very confortable but quite heavy but happy with this if i don't get a punture. So far so good................
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    would a 700X25 fit

Depends if your frame has the clearances for the tyre. The rim however should take a 25c tyre.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redjedi
    redjedi Posts: 44
    I have 700x23 and haev had a spate of punctures in the past fornight. would a 700X25 fit as the marthon plus only seems to go down to 700x25. If not any recommendations on for puncture protection.

They should. My old tires were 23s and I put on M+ in 25 no problems fitting the bike, but now my mudguards, which fitted the 23s nicely, are a bit small for the 25s.
  • Stuww
    Stuww Posts: 203
    Big fan of SMP's too.

Big bloke, 80 miles a week, rough back lanes, no punctures in 6 months of use!

Great kit!

Stu
  • I've just put a pair of 700x35's on my wife's bike. She's of the opinion that fixing punctures is men's work. They didn't seem too heavy to me and they seem to ride fine. I didn't find them hard to get onto the wheel. If they do as they say and reduce the chance of punctures she's going to be pretty happy. (And me more so). £20 each from spa cycles is a bargain.
    I've forgotten my PIN for the pain barrier.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I use 700x38's and they are great.

I went over quite a lot of glass and gravel/sharp stones yesterday and no problems.

My LBS would not install anything else.

I may consider going down to a thinner size maybe 32 or 28.

I carry 1 replacement tube with me and metal levers just in case :shock:
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    dondare wrote:
    ..... There are several tricks that will help (I use cable-ties) ....

I'm intrigued. Ever one to learn, how do you use them?

Thanks in advance.

Andy
  • Right got my 700 x 25's and fitted them at the weekend no problem. To be honest they were easier to get on than my old continental sports contacts so that is a right result.

My commuting bike
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Whats the differences between Marathon & Marathon Plus? Other than £5-6? Tempted to buy them at the weekend and spend the rest of the week fitting them :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • pluses are a fair bit heaver, with the thick under tread armor. i have both, the standard would prob do. this said for crashing though londons streets i use pluses.
  • im not keen on these tires i also find them a real ***** to fit and change....

im currently using conti contacts and i have to say there awesome.

the only thing i wish they had is the reflective strip :cry:

seconded

“I kill monsters and zombies with infeasibly large plasma-based weaponry”
  • redvee
    Got a pair of Marathons for £26 inc p&p :) from flea bay, beats £20 each in the LBS's
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    They are great tyres.

I hit quite a bit of glass yesterday and no P's
  • redvee
    Got my pair of 26x1.5" Marathons today and was prepared for the struggle of fitting one tyre when in work. Very dissappointed, from start to finish the job took 10 mins and that was removing the old tyre as well, needed a tyre lever to get the last few inches on the rim. Why have others struggled with their tyres? Guess it is the combo of rim and tyre.
  • Babbsy
    Babbsy Posts: 197
    How does the sizing of the M+ compare with other brands? I currently run Conti Ultragatorskins 700x28 with just enough mudguard clearance.

The M+ seems more 'bulky' than the gatorskin so I'm wonder if a 700x28 M+ will give me issues with clearance. Should I drop down to 700x25?
    <font><font>I know that you believe that you understand what you think I said but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.</font></font>
  • mati1t
    mati1t Posts: 31
    I've just ordered my marathon pluses as i've had 4 puncs on my pro race 2 25mm in last two weeks. Why more puncs in winter?
    Anyway i've found a clip from the blokes at Spa cycles in Harrogate showing how to put the marathon plus on in 5 mins without any levers. Hope this link works.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/

Its on their home page, hope this helps everybody that's had trouble putting them on i'll be using this advice when i get mine cheers.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    mati1t wrote:
    I've just ordered my marathon pluses as i've had 4 puncs on my pro race 2 25mm in last two weeks. Why more puncs in winter?
    Anyway i've found a clip from the blokes at Spa cycles in Harrogate showing how to put the marathon plus on in 5 mins without any levers. Hope this link works.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/

Its on their home page, hope this helps everybody that's had trouble putting them on i'll be using this advice when i get mine cheers.

thanks for this. Just bookmarked it to help me when I'm fitting my marathon winters (when they eventually get here).
    Hat + Beard
  • Great tyres, no probs fitting.
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    If you want 700x23 then look at the Schwalbe Durano Plus. It's basically the same tyre as the SMP but with no tread.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I used a Marathon Plus rear and a Durano Plus front, great combination. The Durano just seems to handle better than the Marathon on the front...IMO anyway.

Nice thread resurrection by the way!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I had my first ever Marathon Plus puncture on friday, after 14,400km

It was a large thorn which somehow missed the thick central belt and went in the top of the side wall.

They are great commuting tyres. Next week I'm probably switching to Marathon Winter. This is for the obvious reason that they are studded