Vittoria tyres

Mettan
Mettan Posts: 2,103
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
Thinking of replacing my 25c "unbranded" tyres which came with the bike for a pair of budget 23c ones - spotted the :

Vittoria Zaffiro
Vittoria Rubino
Vittoria Rubino slick

Anyone have any experience with these - are they solid and reliable budget tyre?

Thanks

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Rubino's will undoubtably be better than an unbranded tyre. I have used them and find them a little harsh and slippery in the wet compared to something like Pro Race or Fortezza Tricomps, but that is only to be expected at a cheaper price.

They are not dogs however, and they seem fairly p*n*u*e resistant and durable.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Going to 23c will not necesarily make you go faster. I rather like 25c tyres, because you get a bit of extra cushion. I have used Zaffiros in the past. I really liked them. Their flat resistance was good, they looked good, and they handled well. I didn't ride them in the rain though. I've heard they are rubbish in the wet.

Plenty of option though :)
  • I am currently using the Vittoria Rubino Techs on my bike. They are what came with it.

They aren't too bad (although I've only been using them for 3 weeks) and this morning was the second time in the wet.

On the road they seem fine, but avoid manhole covers and the white line (as usual really).
    But I did have my first fall this morning, as I was going through a cycle/ped underpass. They just slipped sideways as I was trying to turn the corner, but the floor was covered in tiles, and not non-slip ones. I have even slipped there when in trainers before, so I couldn't really blame the tyres. :oops:

If I'm still posting in a few weeks, then they should be fine in the wet :D
  • Mettan
    Thanks guys - I've spotted a set of Rubino's on WIggle and just bought them - came with a set of inner tubes aswell :)
  • Rubinos very tight fitting and Zafirras were cheapo
    John

I would avoid both
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i have used the rubino and the rubino slick - never had a problem fitting them to shimano wheels (R561's) - the slicks have a taller profile for the same width (I use 23mm) and are slightly comfier for it -

the slicks are useless in the wet.

they have both lasted well and been very puncture resistant (oh God - dare I say it - I have never had one..... - there thats torn it - puncture city here I come probably!)

at the price - they are an absolute bargain - what did you pay - £16 with tubes - great value I would say,,,,
  • Mettan
    Fitted these today, and just been out on a run - very pleased- they're slick in the centre with a very fine course tred on the edges (almost like sand-paper) - don't seem particularly "quick" but quite grippy relative to the previous ones - seem quite comfy with the Spesh tubes underneath and a reasonable pressure.

(oh, the plastic tyre levers I bought were shyte....... bending too much :D - ended up using a metal implement)
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Mettan wrote:
    .....(oh, the plastic tyre levers I bought were shyte....... bending too much :D - ended up using a metal implement)
    I'd recommend a VAR tool from Bikeplus or SJS Cycles (Bikeplus one comes with instructions). I carry one everywhere, with a set of Park Tools plastic levers.
    Some recommend a Crank Bros. speed lever, which is similar in function to the VAR tool.
  • Mad Mat
    Mad Mat Posts: 240
    I've used them for big miles on two bikes on 23 and 25 with no problems, only one puncture in 20,000 + miles and that was a thorn doing a London to Paris charity ride last year. They take take good PSI, 140 max wich is great for a big a 100kg monster like me.
    London to Paris 13/6/2007 sponsor me at WWW.justgiving.com/woodthorpe
  • Mettan
    Thanks JW - when you're moving the VAR tool around the rim does it have a tendency to gouge into the edge of the tyres at all? - just wondering how effective they are in terms of doing the job without gouging into the edge of the tyres.
  • JWSurrey
    Hi there Mettan, Sorry - I didn't see your reply here - Just picked it up from the other thread! Been doing 12 hour days on top of my 3 hour commute, and had 1 day off this week :roll:

The VAR tool is made of soft plastic.
    I find the best way to use it is just to hook over the last difficult bit of bead.
    I use my thumbs to push most of the bead over (having done the usual minor shape-keeping inflation of inner tube).
    I then squeeze over a bit more with my Park Tool plastic levers, by sliding them round the rim.

I then use the VAR tool to hook over the last difficult bit, placing my hands around the tool to stop it bending excessively. They actually supply a very neat lever with the VAR tool that assists in sliding round the inside of the rim to seat as much of the bead as possible before using the tool proper to pop over the last section.

Hmm... I hope that isn't a totally befuddled description!
    Paul of Bikeplus has an excellent description - I think it's on the Bikeplus website somewhere.

I've not had any trouble with gouging when using the tool -though I did get a pair of Spez. 26" Flak Jacket tyres (no longer made) back the other day, where the borrower had totally wrecked them by removing them with the contents of his cutlery drawer!
    I don't think some people realise that bike tyres are almost the same price as car tyres these days!
  • Mettan
    Thanks for the information JW.

After nearly a month of using the Rubino's -

1 puncture - front tyre
    3 surface cuts - front tyre

Rear tyre - Perfect - No punctures, No surface cuts

Not sure why the front tyre has took a hammering rather than the rear?? - reasonably pleased with the tyres considering the price - bit suprised with the puncture though - enjoyed patching the inner-tube and the underside of the tyre (3x2mm open gash - piece of glass) - also a bit suprised with the surface cuts, but happy they didn't puncture - quite "comfy" tyres even running 120 PSI - don't feel too grippy in the wet though - all in all, given the £8 price each, am reasonably pleased - going to get £15 plus tyres each next time though.
  • JWSurrey
    Hi Mettan,
    Good to hear you're getting on with your Rubinos - My wife has them on her bike, and she seems reasonably pleased with them - she's certainly a more fearless descender on those than I am on my 25c GP4000!

I'm changing over to GP4 Seasons, to see if they really are "optimised for wet riding conditions" - though at around 55 quid a pair, probably a bit more than you intended on spending!
    Maybe seek out an old pair of GP3000, which some people prefer, allegedly having a stickier tread. Ribble Cycles were discounting them a while back.

Michelin Krylions get good reviews with regard to wet/dirty riding conditions. They're top-end price bracket though.

Contis get a bad press, though I've generally found my GP4000 good - I just fancied trying something else to see if they are even better. The GP4000-S have a better compound (I have those on my summer/dry ride but in 23c).

Are you running a lower pressure in your front tyre? Maybe that's what caused a front rather than a rear puncture.
    If it's any consellation, I spend my weekends picking grit out of my tyres too - Generally I expect a good sticky soft compound to attract debris, but expect the quality "canvas" plies to resist puncture.
  • tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    JWSurrey wrote:
    I'm changing over to GP4 Seasons, to see if they really are "optimised for wet riding conditions" - though at around 55 quid a pair, probably a bit more than you intended on spending!
    £40 a pair here http://www.highonbikes.com/prodtype.asp ... istory=cat or if you only want them in 23s they are £40 a pair here also http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/p ... index.html
    You might gather that I like 4 seasons.
  • JWSurrey
    tatanab wrote:
    [....You might gather that I like 4 seasons.
    Tatnab, have you ridden 4000 or 4000-S - I wondered if there were any genuine traction differences, or whether it was more of a marketing thing i.e. Is the rubber compound actually different?
    (I guess I will be able to answer this for myself, when my new wheels turn up this weekend)!
  • Mettan
    Thanks JW for the info, & Tatanab - I'm thinking of maybe my first folding tyre - alot of the £20 ish tyres seem to be the folding ones - I've heard they are more "pliable", flexible, easier to get on and off etc, but am just wondering, are they "safe" and reliable in terms of being solidly clasped to the rim when they're on given that they so "flexible"?

Thanks
  • tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    I have not used 4000 or 4000S. From the website I understand that the S is simply an all black version.

In Continental tyres I have used only 4 Seasons and Gatorskins in recent years and much prefer 4 Seasons.

Mettan - I too was a folding tyre luddite until about 7 years ago and exactly the same questions. Don't forget that the difference is in the bead so I would not describe them as more pliable or easier to get on or off, I think the ease of fitment is a combination of tyre and rim - I've had no problems. As for staying on the rim, just make sure you do a good job of pushing the bead into the well of the rim when you fit it so that the pressure pushes the tyre into the right place. Afterall, a poorly fitted wire beaded tyre will jump off just as easily.

I use wire beaded and folding tyres in about a 50/50 mix. I don't buy a tyre just because it folds and so weighs an ounce less, I am no weight weeny, I would have bought 4 seasons had they been wire beaded. I use them for commuting, club runs, and even cycle camping. I have even used them for some easy off road riding - dry flinty tracks.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I binned my GP4Seasons.

- Dreadful to get on and off

- Lots of punctures : the tread pattern attracts thorns and so on which then go straight through the 'puncture resistant' layer

- Sidewall damaged easily through just normal road riding, ended-up with lots of loose plies sticking-out and didn't fancy finding-out if it was just cosmetic or structural

- And quite simply the worst wet-weather grip I've ever experienced (somewhat ironic for a tyre called 'Four Seasons') and after I'd had several scry moemnts I finally came off, enough was enough.

Went back to...Rubino Pros.
    Half the price, far better tyre
  • JWSurrey
    Blimey Andy, I guess you didn't like Contis then! :D
    Another forum post mooted whether the bad handling characteristics of Contis experienced by some could possibly be attributed to mounting them with the reverse rotation.
    Were they definitely on the right way round?

The GP4000-S definitely feels different (touch and riding feel) to the GP4000, and the marketing blurb does indeed suggest it is a different compound.
    One site (Poss Cycling Weekly or RoadCycling UK) did indeed suggest the 4000-S is Conti's attempt at winning back the GP3000 crowd, who didn't get along with the 4000 rubber formulation/ride characteristics.

Another article I read recently intimated that the 4000 formulation has changed - If it has, it's a shame it's not been advertised more.

Unfortunately, it's not at all clear what in the 4 Season is different to the 4000, although it appears these may simply be the old GP3000 rubber formula!
    The sidewalls are supposed to be more pliable than most.

I'll be able to report the result of "live testing" soon - though the MTB has been pulled from the back of the shed this week as i've whimped out of piling down hills on the road bike!
    Having never ridden Michelins, I won't be able to give a comparison to these, though I know Monty Dog has ridden most tyres and rates the Krylions as his top winter tyre.
  • Var tyre lever instructions here

Paul_Smith
    www.bikeplus.co.uk
    JWSurrey wrote:
    Hi there Mettan, Sorry - I didn't see your reply here - Just picked it up from the other thread! Been doing 12 hour days on top of my 3 hour commute, and had 1 day off this week :roll:

The VAR tool is made of soft plastic.
    I find the best way to use it is just to hook over the last difficult bit of bead.
    I use my thumbs to push most of the bead over (having done the usual minor shape-keeping inflation of inner tube).
    I then squeeze over a bit more with my Park Tool plastic levers, by sliding them round the rim.

I then use the VAR tool to hook over the last difficult bit, placing my hands around the tool to stop it bending excessively. They actually supply a very neat lever with the VAR tool that assists in sliding round the inside of the rim to seat as much of the bead as possible before using the tool proper to pop over the last section.

Hmm... I hope that isn't a totally befuddled description!
    Paul of Bikeplus has an excellent description - I think it's on the Bikeplus website somewhere.

I've not had any trouble with gouging when using the tool -though I did get a pair of Spez. 26" Flak Jacket tyres (no longer made) back the other day, where the borrower had totally wrecked them by removing them with the contents of his cutlery drawer!
    I don't think some people realise that bike tyres are almost the same price as car tyres these days!
  • Glad to hear everything's working out. I would agree with your observation that Rubinos are not grippy in the wet. In fact, they're one of the least grippy wet-weather tyres I've ever used. Mine dumped me on the tarmac a while back and never got used again! I have now settled on conti GP4000S, they're a top of the range tyre with a price to match, but you can pick them up for <20 each. Just to clarify the above, the 4000S is a different tyre from the 4000. Why they didn't call it the GP5000 I don't know. The carcass is the same I believe, but the compound is new (called 'Black Chilli' by conti).

Vredestein are also a good make. The Fortezza Tricomp is a very good tyre for the money.

Simon
  • OnTow
    OnTow Posts: 130
    Mettan wrote:
    ...folding tyre...I've heard they are more "pliable", flexible, easier to get on and off etc...are they "safe" and reliable in terms of being solidly clasped to the rim ......

Had no problems whatsoever with my folders.
    They seem to be lighter.
    The bead is usually made of something like Kevlar - One of the strongest substances around - Yes, flexible, but you could probably swing from it without it stretching - i.e. Very good indeed, unless it snaps - never heard of that happening.
    Less likely to rust and fatigue through than a steel cable/bead.

I'd hazard a guess they're lighter.
    Very flexible for folding, and not likely to cause a stress fracture at the fold points.
    The flexibility when ridden will probably come from the sidewall structure rather than the bead, which will show up as a more pliant ride. Contis are known for a soft pliable sidewall, but have a Vectran canvas - i.e. They're tough although you'll get debris deposited in the soft rubber tread (which is soft to keep you on the road).

Solidly clasped - Never had any trouble with mine.
    Not tried an explosive blowout whilst descending at speed, but I'd like to think they're as likely to roll off as a steel beaded tyre.
  • Smokin_Joe put me onto vredestein tri-comps after I was sliding all over on rubino pro's I now use them for winter too and can't fault them.Ive descended over 53 mph on them and trust them in corners,more than I could say for rubino' which I use on the turbo now.
  • I always had trouble when taking them off the rim when punctured as they were a very tight fit.
    Changed to verdstein fortezza which i thought were better in every way
    Peter