Can a Suspension fork ever break??

MelvinFromSingapore
edited November 2007 in MTB beginners
Hey...
Just wana know for my safety coz my friend's bike fork broke and it too out his teeth... Im using Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 4 on my Kona..

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    anything can break.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hey...
    Just wana know for my safety coz my friend's bike fork broke and it too out his teeth... Im using Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 4 on my Kona..

As nick said anything can break... I have fucke up two 888 forks. It's just a question about how you ride. If you use the fork for dirtjumping i don't think it will be a problem, just don't go do anything thats far to big for your bike. As long as you use it for what it was built for it will hold=) check Intended uses on marzocchis website www.marzocchi.com
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    what was he using and what was he doing with the bike?

there are forks out there that cant take too much whilst others can take an utter hammering and then some.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • plus they fail differently, depending on the construction. Some bend and others just fail suddenly, it is always worth checking for bent forks after any big crash/hard landing.
  • everything break or fail, i have a great scare below me bottom lip due to a lock on grip breaking, i hit the ground hard n stopped on my face, it isn't nice pulling ya teeth back through ya lip hahaha

all god fun though!
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    A friend of a friend had their old carbon suspension forks "explode" and not doing anything very tough. However this was a few years back when carbon was still relatively new to fork design - hopefully things are better now! Well they must be or you wouldn't race with them would you?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Thanks for the advice mate.. :D Im gona get my bike serviced every 6 months... Hmmm i can say that DJ suspension can be used for lighter jobs like XC so if i have a Suspension fork for down hill, can i still use it for DJ?? :?:
  • I hit a root at speed and managed to snap the brace (or whatever it's called - the curved plate on the front that connects the two "legs" together) on my cheapo RSTs clean in two. Quite impressive for a newbie! :lol:
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I hit a root at speed and managed to snap the brace (or whatever it's called - the curved plate on the front that connects the two "legs" together) on my cheapo RSTs clean in two. Quite impressive for a newbie! :lol:

I believe it's called a crown (another newbie myself) Ouch, that must have hurt though! :o

The forks on my old cheapo bike managed to completely lock up after hitting a rather large rock. It wasn't anything spectacular, but it made them completely useless.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • deanvw
    deanvw Posts: 412
    i done the same to my rst gilia!