SKS narrow Mudguards - SORTED thanks

Bakaman
Bakaman Posts: 16
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
Hi, I have the slim SKS full length mudguards (I think P35), fitted rear no trouble.

But I have tried fitting the front on three bikes and failed each time. Initially the brake pivot bracket slot wasn't cut far enough down, meaning that the guard sat too low (i.e. on the tyre). I increased the slot depth, but it still will not work with a 23mm road tyre.

I am trying to get it fitted to my wife's winter bike (an Olmo Giro 531c) with steel forks and 23mm gatorskins.

It appears that it is the combined thickness of the bracket, the guard and the rivets underneath just is too tight between fork crown and tyre. It would be easier if the bracket could fit behind the fork but of course it can't (thought about tye-wrapping it there though.

I am probably being a dork. Can anyone offer advice please.

On a Trek 1000 with non-carbon forks, it was the squarish corners of the guard not clearing the curved fork crown, similar prob with Trek 1200 with carbon fork.
An injured runner needing to find a low-impact way to burn calories! Oh, by the way, I appreciate the open air, exercise and quality. Seems like a good reason to get a bike.

Comments

• John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    If your forks have eyelets for gaurds to be fitted you should be OK with them, if they have not then they are not designed to have clearence for mud gaurds and the only way to get round this is by fitting race gaurds which don't go under the crown of the fork. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Thanks John, there are eyelets, and now the problem is solved. I went out to take a photo of the offending problem, looked and tried again (with a bit more gentle persuasion) and hey presto, about 4mm of clearance.

Thanks for convincing me that there shouldn't have been a problem, it made me check again.
    An injured runner needing to find a low-impact way to burn calories! Oh, by the way, I appreciate the open air, exercise and quality. Seems like a good reason to get a bike.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    If necessary, you could always bodge them on as I did with my Basso which was not designed for mudguards. See this thread.

PS Oops - too late!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    A good solution though ColinJ, to the old age problem of fitting full length mudguards to bikes not designed to take them, nice one!
  • Bakaman
    I am having the same problem.
    What did you force to get it to fit? I cant get the mudguard up any higher off my tire!