Anti-puncture tyres

phreak
phreak Posts: 2,941
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
I've heard around and about that you can buy tyres that reduce the likelyhood of getting a puncture. As I got one on a ride yesterday (whilst in the middle of nowhere, typically :lol: ) I'm quite interested in this.

Is there such a thing?

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Yes there is.

They are supposed to be slower, so if you are racing then some take the risk.

I've no idea of the perforance difference as I cycle to keep fit.

Tyres such as the Spezailised Armadillo range are more puncture resistant.

The major tyre companies all have their own types of resistant tyre

When I need new tyres I'll consider Armadillos
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • I have just got myself a second pair of gator skins for my other road bike (like you I had a puncture that ruined my club ride last week) I would not worry to much as regards rolling resistance because to be honest its minimal. They are a good tyre at a great price, but at the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice :)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Generally, the more puncture resistant, then the heavier and less well handling the tyre. Whilst Armadillos might be pretty good at stopping punctures, you may as well ride solid tyres and they don't grip well in the wet. Similarly, Gatorskins don't handle too well in extreme wet and cut up badly if your live in a flinty part of the world. Speak to your LBS to see what people in your area ride.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    There's no such product as puncture-proof tyres, only tyres that will decease your chances of getting a p******e due to their construction.

Gatorskins are only really effective when new, and quite a nice tyre, but seem more open to punctures when getting a bit worn IME.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Thanks for that, I'll check out those brands at the local bike shop.
  • schwalbe marathon plus' seem to get a good review on this forum.
  • bossman13 wrote:
    schwalbe marathon plus' seem to get a good review on this forum.

They have two layers so if you run over glass or sharp stones, the first layer may be penetrated but not the second which is the one that the inner tube is forced up against.

Just gotted them fitted for my winter bike. First ride today...no punctures yet :)
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    phreak wrote:
    I've heard around and about that you can buy tyres that reduce the likelyhood of getting a puncture.

AAAAGGGHHH - you've invoked the wrath of the p******e fairy - you will forever more be plagued with them!

There are some words which should never be used, and that is one of them.

Tsssch!

Rufus.

p.s. Have the Armadillo all condition on mine and to date haven't been visited by she who's name we do not speak. Though handling and grip could be better I guess.
  • I like Panaracers tourer for round the town
    john
  • adh038
    adh038 Posts: 67
    How are the Roubaix Armadillo Elites? I have just bought a pair and wondering what everyones view on these is.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    My Gatorskins have been superb for p*nct*r*l-ess riding. I'd deffo get them again.

Their handling has been fine. I missed gold in the Marmotte by 17 minutes, would I have made that time up if I'd be using ProRace2 tyres instead?
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    i have run a pair of Panaracer Extreme Duros for thousands of miles with no, yes, no punctures. the back tire is now totally dead, flattened off and through to the next layer in places, but it is retiring undefeated to punctures.

going to have a look at Kyrelium carbons next
  • I've got Continental Gator SKins on and have had NO Pun*tures for a year now. That's with 200 miles a week commuting for work. I even swapped my GP3000 on my good bike as I was fed up with ruining a fast ride with a slow pun*ture!
    If only the legs were as good as the bike....