New tyres advice

vertigoscene
vertigoscene Posts: 56
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
Hello All

Had a puncture the other day, and the bike shop fitted me with a Schwalbe Marathon Plus. After having a few rides with the new tyre, am noticing that it seems a bit slow. Would like to switch to something a bit quicker, whilst I want something with reasonable puncture protection too. Am looking to switch both tyres as the standard tyre that came with the bike is a bit rubbish.

The tyres I'm currently using are 700x28, and my bike shop says that the wheels that come with my bike (Alex rims DC19) can't take rims slimmer than 700x25s.

Any recommendations? Also, if I switch to narrower tyres, what are the pros and cons?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Comments

• Try Bontrager Race-lite Hardcase; about a tenner a go from allterraincycles.co.uk the last time I looked, which was a long time back cos they are as hard as nails. Maybe not the quickest tyre, but certainly one of the most durable.

A
  • fixiebob
    fixiebob Posts: 222
    I use shwalbe blizzard on my winter bike never had puncture and i dont find them slow mine r 23mm not sure if they do 25 or not.
  • Another vote for the Hardcase, yesterday I was picking small pieces of glass out of my front wheel after its weekly clean and check, now that's what I call protection :)