tights

zeroshoddy
zeroshoddy Posts: 59
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
For wearing shorts over. Best with padless / non bib ?

For years I’ve ridden with bib tights and big shorts over. Need more tights and fear the non bib not gonna fit as good.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I have always worn non-bib shorts (with the chamois pad next to your skin, where it's supposed to be) and bibtights (without a pad) over the top of them. Tights without the shoulder straps always seem to end up around my knees after 5 minutes and are therefore to be avoided at all costs!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Bronzie wrote:
    I have always worn non-bib shorts (with the chamois pad next to your skin, where it's supposed to be) and bibtights (without a pad) over the top of them. Tights without the shoulder straps always seem to end up around my knees after 5 minutes and are therefore to be avoided at all costs!

me too bronzie - pad next to skin and tights over the top - although I often see people with their fancy shorts over the top of their tights.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Same here - pad next to skin, padless tights over the top (both bibs usually, or sometimes bib tights + shorts). Alternatively, leg / knee warmers.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I use padded Bibs.

Bibs are best becasue they keep in position and keep your lower back warm
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    When I started road cycling I used my running tights over the top of bib shorts, but like others I found that they just slipped and left a baggy crutch. It was not long before I bought some bib longs. Equally, I agree, pad next to skin.
  • pedalrog
    pedalrog Posts: 633
    Bibs cover the important parts, as mentioned, lower back. I wear padded shorts underneath and padded bib tights on top although the pad in the bibtights is not really necessry.
  • just got a pair of Altura airstream bibtights.I wear them with a pair of padded shorts underneath.V.V. good :D
    dsc00020qd8.th.jpg
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    gavintc wrote:
    When I started road cycling I used my running tights over the top of bib shorts, but like others I found that they just slipped and left a baggy crutch. It was not long before I bought some bib longs. Equally, I agree, pad next to skin.

Valiant effort Gavin, riding whilst on crutches :D .
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    padded bibs definitely for the winter
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I've got some padded bibs but I just as often use bib shorts with leg warmers under - both are fine. Why bother with tights and shorts?
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I've got bib longs, bib shorts, tights, shorts, etc. I usually go for what's clean. The bib longs are fine - nice and fleecy. The bib shorts have the best pad in them so I'd probably want to use them on longer runs but I'd be chillly so stick some tights on over the top. I got the tights from a canterbury factory shop so dirt cheap.