Back problems

Steve_F
Steve_F Posts: 682
edited November 2007 in Health, fitness & training
I have been suffering from back problems for a couple of years now. Physio reckoned this was a bulging disc.

It has been manageable recently and not giving me much of a problem but this week it has been a nightmare.

Does anyone have any tips for relief for this (got stretching exercised from physio) or even better any advice on how to ease the pain on the bike. Usually hurts like hell until downhill adrenaline kicks in.

Don't really fancy stopping riding as sitting/lying around my flat makes it worse too!
Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
+ cheap road/commuting bike

Comments

• El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Have you tried changing your riding position?

If it gives you more pain when you are stretched out on the bike, try raising your bars/lowering the saddle (slightly). Or if it's when you're upright, try the reverse (drop the bars).
  • Pippen33
    Pippen33 Posts: 235
    I'm can't 100% confirm this one but I'm sure my sisters boyfriend suffered something similar to this. Since 03 he's had surgery on his back and now seems fine. Before the surgery when he was at Uni, he couldn't stand straight, couldn't go on RollerCoasters etc.. and when working at Morrisons had to do till work rather than shop floor - I'll have to enquire and get back about this but I'm sure he had a vertebrae shaved or something like that.

BTW HE WENT PRIVATE...!!!
    spammer
  • go to the doctors and get them to find out what exactly is the problem with your back, until you know 100% for sure I doubt you will be able to cure the problem. But generaly lots of stretching and a decent firm materess is good for the back, my mate has one of those memory foam materesses an he says it is excelent and he never has back pain.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Thanks for the replies. Went to a chiropractor (apologies for the spelling) first who thought is was a problem that meant I should be cracked twice a week for months. That never made any difference so the doctor (who didn't have a clue) referred me to the physio. He diagnosed buldging discs and gave me exercises to improve it which did slowly work.

I am building up the exercises and after yesterdays ride it will be off the bike until it improves as that pain was too much.

Will try adjusting my riding position when I get back in the saddle.

Cheers
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Hmmm i get lower back pains too.. In fact im still suffering from it.. Been having it for already a month.. My seat is already at its lowerst... I think it maybe caused coz i didnt do my warm ups..

So i suggest u can do warm ups before riding :D

Cheers
    Kona Shred 07