wheels

amircp
amircp Posts: 132
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
What's the best time of year to buy discounted wheels? I am looking for a pair around £100 or less e.g. Aksium, Fulcrum Racing 5 Evo.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Generally around now - ie when the stockists are trying to make room for 2008 versions and when the road market has dropped off a bit as the fair weather cyclists are cowering indoors and not spending :wink:
  • just had a look, 100 quid on ebay with dh cyclesport. How much differece would these make on a specialized allez sport, over the standard alex wheels that cam with it?
    Difference in my times?
    or just different in the comfort?
  • Not a lot really.

Ebays a good place to buy stuff, but be careful sometimes it ends being a pile of rubbish.

If you want to make a difference regarding wheels, then I suggest you look at racing 3s or Mavic Kysriums, but for the winter use the standard wheels.

the guys at www.revolution-news.com are quite gd, they used to have lots a stuff and info, but they recently re-did it. I think their email is revolution-news@hotmail.co.uk so you chat with them on msn. Atm they have little content, but theyre building up, and according to a mate looking for writers.
  • amircp wrote:
    What's the best time of year to buy discounted wheels? I am looking for a pair around £100 or less e.g. Aksium, Fulcrum Racing 5 Evo.

The cheaper Vuelta models (e.g. Starlite, Zerolite) are good if it's factory-built wheelsets you're after. I've got a pair of Zerolites for road riding and TTing on, and they've been really good so far - now 2 years old and still trouble-free. Weight is around the same as Aksiums (about 1.9kg), but price is about 15-20 quid cheaper.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • markmw
    markmw Posts: 131
    robklancs wrote:
    just had a look, 100 quid on ebay with dh cyclesport. How much differece would these make on a specialized allez sport, over the standard alex wheels that cam with it?
    Difference in my times?
    or just different in the comfort?
    £100 is for the Racing 7s. The R5s are £135 from DHCyclesport and, after you add the £15 postage, it's cheaper to go to your LBS who should knock at least 10% off the list price if you ask nicely :D