New to road bikes...

guinea
guinea Posts: 1,177
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
Hi all. I'm new to this road cycling lark. I used to be very much into mountain miking and used to do a fair bit of it though the 90s. Unfortunately I haven't been cycling as much as I should have been over the years and put on a huge amount of weight. I was always a big bloke, but I played rugby and cycled up mountains so I stayed fit. Then I moved to London, sat behind a desk and got fat.

Earlier this year I decided to shed my gut. I bought a new moutnain bike as a treat and have used it most days to get to work. I wanted one as good as my old kit, so went for a Cannondale F1. It has a lefty fork which I've lusted after since they came out. I've put about 50 mile a week on the bike in commuting and the odd random cycle.

I'm 6'2" and my starting weight was 24 stones and 6 pounds. After a lot of hard work I am now 14 stones and 10 pounds and the weight is still flying off me.

I've reassessed my goals in the previous weks and decided to live out a dream that I might be able to get up Alpe d'Huez, Venoux or Galibier. I've watched the tour for years transfixed in awe as these guys powered up there. So I've decided to go for it and start training for a run at the Alpe. I've a bet with a mate (for charity) - he says I can't do it. However, I think I can.

I've decided I wanted to do it on a road bike, so I bought one. Not knowing much about them I got the sexiest one in the shop. It's a Wilier Mortirolo. I got it with a compact 50-34.

So, I am still overweight and have absolutely no fitness or stamina whatsoever, but I have a goal. Right now I struggle up the smallest of hills in granny gear. It's going to be a hell of a lot of hard work, but I'm feeling pretty motivated right now.

Comments

• guinea wrote:
    I'm 6'2" and my starting weight was 24 stones and 6 pounds. After a lot of hard work I am now 14 stones and 10 pounds and the weight is still flying off me.

I've reassessed my goals in the previous weks and decided to live out a dream that I might be able to get up Alpe d'Huez, Venoux or Galibier. I've watched the tour for years transfixed in awe as these guys powered up there. So I've decided to go for it and start training for a run at the Alpe. I've a bet with a mate (for charity) - he says I can't do it. However, I think I can.

It's going to be a hell of a lot of hard work, but I'm feeling pretty motivated right now.

That's a phenomenal performance on the weight drop - very well done! I see no reason why you won't be able to get up one, if not all, of the mountains you mention. There's loads of stuff online about training to take these on etc and the voices on this forum will no doubt have lots of sage advice too.

Best of luck with the bet!
  • muz250
    muz250 Posts: 95
    24 stone to 14!! thats not to shabby, you must have a good level of fitness after losing 10 stone!. Am a newby to cycling aswell but I fance trying the etape in 2009, think U should try something like that.
  • I think you will do it too, Guinea

You've got a good bike, the right gearing and most of all the right attitude

Not so sure you are overweight at 6-2, use your power as your fitness progresses

Plenty of big guys on bikes nowadays , may not be first up the hills but they still get up them, then watch them on the descents !

Go for it and enjoy it
    pedrootes
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    Wow, thats a lot of weight to shift...how did you do it?
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    guinea wrote:
    I've reassessed my goals in the previous weks and decided to live out a dream that I might be able to get up Alpe d'Huez, Venoux or Galibier. I've watched the tour for years transfixed in awe as these guys powered up there. So I've decided to go for it and start training for a run at the Alpe.

I managed all three Alpes this September having only started riding a road bike in Feb this year - so go for it would be my advice! They aren't too bad at all really if you pace yourself sensibly and don't attempt to break any records on your first try. Rest days in-between the big hills is important too!
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Good man! Congrats on the weight loss and the bike, excellent choice, used to have one myself and did many happy miles on it. If you want a real target to aim at why not try and get a place on the 2008 Etape du Tour (providing there are any places left).

Enjoy!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Fantastic weight loss!

The fitness will come, just keep cycling as often as you can.

Before and after shots would inspire us all!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Guinea - with your attitude I think we can safely say that your mate will lose the bet!

It's great to hear a positive story like yours.

On the mountain front - a friend of mine is a bit heavier than you and I've ridden over some tough climbs with him. He's not the fastest guy up them but he puts it in a gear he's happy in and climbs at his pace. You'll do it I'm sure.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Rich Hcp wrote:
    Fantastic weight loss!

The fitness will come, just keep cycling as often as you can.

Before and after shots would inspire us all!

You asked for them...

http://guineasblog.blogspot.com/

I've posted the before and after shots there. I've constantly updated my blog as I've lost the weight. I'll probably carry on until I climp the Alpe....
  • Great photos - I'm not surprised you look so smug in the 'after' one!!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Well done!
    Richard

Giving it Large