Gone for it

jellybellywmb
jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
Just been given the all clear from skin cancer and apart from loosing a few bits of lower leg fit and healthy so to celebrate have added to my garage a Giant SCR 3 2008 for the bargain price (I think) of £385.00 ordered today and collecting tomorrow .
This is my first Road Bike and am really looking forward to giving it a go.

Once I get fit again I intend to do Lands End to John O'groats to raise money for all the brilliant people that work in Cancer Research , Mcmillan,LOROS and anyone else that tirelessly helps people battle this non discriminant disease.
"BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy

Comments

• mozzle
    mozzle Posts: 100
    Congratulations and well done on over coming that horrible disease, its always good to hear about people who succeed.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    congrats jellybelly, mind be careful too much cycling and you'll have to change your user-name :wink:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Hi jellybelly

That's fantastic, you will love the bike. Giant bikes are excellent very reliable & a great ride. When you do the Land's End to John O'groats I would love to join you for a few miles as I think Penrith where I live is usually on the route. :D
  • Cheers Mike I may take you up on that, I am quite used to that area as my parents come from Egremont out on the coast.

My Fund Raising plans are getting more ambitious as one of my mates (super fit marine) has suggested that we do and end2end but combine it with the Three Peaks, obviously not doing the three peaks in 24hrs but still a fair old challange.

Dont even know if its been done before so am going to get the maps out and have a look today

So Mike how would you be fixed for a ride through the Lakes with Scafell for lunch??
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    Congrats for pulling though and much respect for wanting to raise money forthepeople and planning the long trip :D
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • My heart goes out to you, well done!
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Well done...

It's always nice to hear some positive news.......
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Well done jelly, just go for it mate! Good luck.
  • Bike has just arrived ,very nice. How long does it take to get used to these skinny wheels .
    Any tips on what to avoid in the early stages of riding these strange machines will be fully appreciated.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    take it very carefully round corners whilst its wet out, otherwise you will go a skidding
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    one thing i would suggest thats really helped me is goingout with the local cycle club, i was honest that i have not much road ridding experience, or group ridding, and there great, plenty of advice, looking out for each etc!!!

Would find out what there short rides are first and that you have enough fitness to complete those.
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Huge congratulations! Keep us all posted on how you get on!
  • feel
    carry a pump, tyre levers and spare inner tube - that way you will never get a puncture :wink: (or you get two at once :lol: )
  • Congratulations and best of luck! 8)

My top tip, pump your tyres up to the correct pressure before you set off every time,
    a little less pressure if it's wet :)
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Good to hear all is well with your after your nasty experience, good luck with the new bike and hope you manage the lands end to john Ogroats with no probs all the best warrior.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • So Mike how would you be fixed for a ride through the Lakes with Scafell for lunch??

No problem Jellybelly I am a regular up Helvellyn & the like, keep us posted how you are getting on with the bike
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Congratulations on your all clear and great to hear of your determination to tackle a challenging ride and to raise money for a good cause. Get a web donation site set up and post here to let us know.

Tips on the skinny bike.

If you have got clipless pedals practice practice practice clipping and unclipping before setting off.

If you haven't, get used to the bike then buy them.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • Cheers Mike, I climbed Hellvellyn in the summer with my 5 year old son and my 18 month old daughter on my back. Could not beleive my lad made it up there admitttedly we avoided the ridges but still impressed as it was his first climb.

Bike is good but have only really gone round the block so far(Nipping out when the wifes not looking) I have been riding Mountain bikes for 4 years and I can't beleive how quick the bike is especially when just rolling.

I nipped out on Sunday and was passed by the local riding club all out for the Sunday ride which I think I could quite fancy , I think once I have got some fitness back I may look them up and try and tag along (If they have a huffers and puffers section) .

Pedylan, I use spd's on my mountain bike but I think like you say I will still get used to the bike before adding them to the SCR.
    Will the threads on the pedals on my Mountain Bike be the same as a road bike??? I have a spare set of Shimano M540's which would avoid extra expense on new pedals and shoes.
  • Hi jellybelly

I know this is another subject but thought you might be interested in this site, some wonderful photos of the lakes.

http://www.stridingedge.net/
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    Hi Jellybelly,

Good luck with the new bike. The threads on the Road bike will be identical I used to A520's on my road bike with drops and M520 on my flat bar road bike. I've now put SPD-SL's on the dropped bar road bike, moved the A520's to the flat bar road bike and the M520's to my commuting Hybrid.
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    well done. Scary thing we all live in terror of it. Glad to hear you got through it ok. enjoy the challenge and keep us posted
  • Another change of plan!!

Having read a bit on the end to end it seems a bit common place now (Still one hell of an acheivement though) So I started looking at Maps.

I have a great like of France and the obvious route for me would be Calais to St Tropez. Is this a route anyone has attemted before or heard of others doing. :?:
    I feel the roads would be quiter (With the exeption of Paris) The weather potentially better (Large truck of suncream to be used) and a chance to relax a little when if I get there.

I have been goiung a bit further on the bike 8 miles now but am still being hapmered by my various operation scars which seem to get worse in the cold. Loving the bike though and am fitting my SPD'S for todays ride.
  • feel
    Could be a wise move. Not that i have personal experience of cycling in France but i have certainly heard that French drivers are much more respectful of cyclists than their British counterparts.