Planet x vs Focus Cayo

huwy
huwy Posts: 91
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
help......

I have the opportunity for bike4work but am limited to the £1k limit through Halfords (or else I would use my lbs).

The best value and rave reviews seem to be on the Palnet X SL Pro Carbon Ultegra and the Focus Cayo both Carbon Frames and Ultegra mix - I really can't decide has anyone got any thoughts to help my decision making ?

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I don't think you can get a Cayo on Cycle 2 work through Halfords, only through Wiggle's own cycle to work scheme.

Assuming I'm right that narrows it down pretty quickly to the Planet X.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    im 99% behind graeme here, and i got the Planet X. Its a stunning bike, i dont think you should get one.
  • huwy
    pretty sure I can get the Cayo i specify the focus they will buy it from Wiggle - Bizzare !
  • spasypaddy
    definitely get the focus then, dont want too many people on planet xssss
  • huwy
    after that spasypaddy it's the Planet x for me I like being exclusive....
  • Halford's claim is any bike you want we can get. Why not put them to the test?
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • spasypaddy
    huwy wrote:
    after that spasypaddy it's the Planet x for me I like being exclusive....
    lol fair enough :P

honestly you wouldnt regret either of those bikes but having only ridden the Planet X i can only recommend ti
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i'm pondering a similar question - but I think I am erring towards the focus - I just don't like the look of the ultra-compact framset on the PX.

can the cayo be obtained through halfords?
  • If it was me i'd be tempted to get the Planet X superlight alu frame with ultegra for £899 then upgrade a couple of bits to get it just as you want.
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • I am pondering the same decision, not easy is it?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Currently I think the Planet X wins hands down, but if the £999 ultegra deal finishes I think it will be a much closer run thing.

I've been looking for a new bike for a while (and probably still will be next summer) but the PX is the top choice at the moment.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I'm having exactly the same problem... which to choose to get. Havent climbed on a bike for nearly 4 years now after riding at least 30mile a day for years.

I'm erring towards the focus, can't really put my finger on why....
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Currently I think the Planet X wins hands down, but if the £999 ultegra deal finishes I think it will be a much closer run thing.

Is there any reason to think the Ultegra deal will finish?

a serious case of small cogs
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Are there any reviews for the Planet X anywhere?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    toontra wrote:

Is there any reason to think the Ultegra deal will finish?

The Ultegra deal was on earlier this year, it stopped for while and then came back. Perhaps it won't end this time.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    cayo is now 850 on wiggle!!
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    jedster wrote:
    cayo is now 850 on wiggle!!

Thanks for the tip. That settled it for me - just ordered the last 2007 x-large Cayo. :D

a serious case of small cogs
  • Hello.

Sadly, we at Sunday Bicycles haven't managed to get a Ti model in at under a 1k budget. I've no experience of the Cayo, looks fantastic value, but i also know, reviews not being massively available aside, that the Planet X bikes are really very very good - i'm friends wth one of their riders who speaks very highly of the frames anyway in private.

As an aside, we've also dealt with planet x commercially, having bought a couple of groupsets etc etc from them, and they are a great company to deal with from what i can see. Genuinely enthuiastic about the sport and just all round good people. You won't go far wrong with either...

Greg