Malverns cross countrry

spqr
spqr Posts: 41
edited November 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I went to the Malverns last week to look at doing some climbing. Whilst there I saw a few guys on mtbs. So was wondering whether anybody knows of any good xc routes, say for beginner to intermediate level lasting around 2 hours.

GPS file would be great :lol:

Thanks,

spqr

Comments

• Hi,

There are many routes around (or over) the Malverns. My best advice is to get an OS Landranger map which distinguishes between Footpaths and Bridleways. Also on some paths MTB's are strictly prohibited.

A couple of routes that you could try start from the British Camp car park where you can either do a loop south around the south of the hills (End Hill) or a loop around the north (going round North Hill). Should you feel like a climb then you could do worse than going over the top of the Worcestershire Beacon from any of the car parks near the north.

Just a word of warning, it can get very busy at the weekends, so try to go mid week if possible.

HTH
  • pedlad
    pedlad Posts: 127
    Hi

Agree that it's far busier at weekends, but you can still get away from the crowds. I'd avoid the whole section north of the Wych cutting as that's where the tourists go and from the Wyche head south. There's a path just on the east side, between the pub and the v steep old wyche road, heading south. Take that and you can traverse on some good tracks which give long gentle downhills then some occassional steeps to regain the height all the way to the British Camp car park.

Depending on time you could then head up to Clutters Cave (again on the east side below British Camp) and follow the top route to Swinyard Hill. There's a steep drop from there which is fun down to the quarry lake. I'd then climb west up to Gullet wood and then head north along the top of the Eastnor estate land rover tracks (which is I think the Worcestershire way). This eventually brings you back to the Main Road just above the BC car park.

From there you can return along the tops to The Wyche if it's later afternoon and a bit quieter although if you want to be good and stick to bridal paths go back onto the paths on the east side.
  • Check out our web site www.about-bikes.com. On the "Rides" page there's a Malvern route which starts from the North Quarry car park. I have it on Tracklogs if you want a copy.

Contact details are on the site also.

Ade
    Magic

Riding, wrecking and repairing mtb's for too long!!

www.about-bikes.com