nice new shiny bike, but............

Bob the dog
Bob the dog Posts: 42
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
Got my nice new Trek 1.9 from the shop, quite pleased as I bought it through a cycle to work scheme and saved a lot of money, took it home, fitted the pedals and went for a spin, lovely I thought until I had a pun***re after only three miles. :evil: I know bikes are made to a price, but if the bike has a £1000 price sticker why does it have to have such shite tyres? :?: This is the first time the pu***ture fairies have visited me in over twelve years, oddly enough it wasn't raining at the time.
Anyway, very nice bike, it'll be even nicer when my new gatorskins arrive off e-bay. :D

Comments

• Congrats Bob,

Enjoy the new bike. One p***ture in twelve years is amazing. Must use good roads/tyres/observation/luck?
    Perpetuating the myth that Lincolnshire is flat.
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Agreed, nice bike but 12years? You are one lucky dog Bob!
    I have pain!
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    *is jealous of bike*

Maybe because at that price tyres are like pedals - you'll already have a favourite kind? Like pedals - though you couldn't sell a bike without tyres. COuld you? :twisted:
  • Ive had two punctures in two weeks on the road :( and after about a year puncture free off roading as well...
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    One p*****re in 12 years?! That is good going. I thought I was doing well with 1 in 6 years, but then I'd worn right through the tread without noticing. It was a thorn that did for me; it'd gone straight through the tyre, the inner tube twice, the rim tape and embedded itself in the end of a spoke!!

Just out of interest, what tyres and at what pressure have you been using, and what's your annual mileage?

I've got a theory that lower pressure tyres are more p*****re resistant, but I've never read anywhere that this could be right..
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Crapaud wrote:
    I've got a theory that lower pressure tyres are more p*****re resistant, but I've never read anywhere that this could be right..

Have you ever had an injection/vaccination? You are told to relax - why? The needle will go into a relaxed muscle easier than a taut one. It's the same with tyres - low pressure=relaxed therefore thorns etc. enter easier; high pressure=taut and difficult to penetrate.
  • My annual mileage is fairly high, 2000 - 3000, I've used gatorskins and schwalbe marathons recently, I don't pump them to an especially high pressure at the moment due to lack of a track pump, I'll give myself a new one for crimbo.
    My pu**ncture was made worse by the fact that I have always, religiously, obsessively, carried a spare tube and tyre levers in my tool bag, except this was my new bike and I didn't have anything..........
    Last pu*n*ture probably on the Mile End Road, East London in 1994 or 1995, the roads are a bit cleaner up here in Wales.