Letape Du Tour 2008 - what bike

ridertothesea
ridertothesea Posts: 15
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
I've entered the 2008 Etape.

My experience is mostly Touring and Mountainbiking. I cycled across the USA last Summer 81miles/day over 45 days on my trusted steel Trek 520. I also own a double sus off road bike that I use for off road racing.

I 'm seeking recommendations in what to look for in a road bike. I'm reasonably new to racing. (I'm well aware that this is no easy feat!). I don't want to break the bank but I am looking for something thats up to the job.

Denis

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    You might consider starting your search by getting measured up at a good LBS. This will help identify the frame sizes that you should be test riding and go some way to ensuring that the bike you end up byuing is a good fit for you. Unless you are intending to contend the lead in the Etape, I'd be looking at more relaxed geometries and what will give you the most comfortable and least tiring ride. Something like the Specialized Roubaix might be a good starting point in your search? If you have a decent LBS near you, with good staff and a wide selection of bikes, I am sure that a day spent discussing options and test riding will be time well spent. Will be fun to agonise over double/triple/compact options and cassette ratios :D

Good luck in the Etape!
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Denis,

Do you have a budget in mind?

I did the Etape last year on a Specialized Allez Sport which came in at about £650. This was certainly adequate. On the other hand there were plenty of top end carbon bikes on show ($$$).
    Rich
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Fit and comfort and the biggest factors for a sportive bike, followed by weight - which is directly correlated to £££. There are endless choices with all the major brands offering a 'sportive' model, which generally are a bit more 'relaxed' and comfortable in comparison to a 'race' bike, which are often built for efficiency and speed, not comfort. You'll find countless posts on here or material and equipment choices- but if you plan on travelling and flying with your bike you may wish to consider a frame material more suited to taking abuse - hence the popularity of titanium for many.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Buy a light bike with appropriate gearing (compact or triple depending upon your tastes). Don't get sucked into spending too much mony if it's your first bike.

What's in your legs is much more important than what's underneath them. You will see an awful lot of bling carbon dream machines being pushed up the hills.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i know urrrrrrrrrrs who posts on here has got a place and is intending on buying a Colnago for it.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I've entered the 2008 Etape.

My experience is mostly Touring and Mountainbiking. I cycled across the USA last Summer 81miles/day over 45 days on my trusted steel Trek 520. I also own a double sus off road bike that I use for off road racing.

I 'm seeking recommendations in what to look for in a road bike. I'm reasonably new to racing. (I'm well aware that this is no easy feat!). I don't want to break the bank but I am looking for something thats up to the job.

Denis
    Good effort on getting across America - 81 miles a day for 45 days - flippin 'eck. What training are you doing now?
    I've entered too and also plan to upgrade my bike - I was thinking specialized roubaix or perhaps something made from titanium :?